Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 yr old is VERY interested in being an artist. The boy has been drawing people with arms and legs and detail since he was 22 mos old. He LOVES to draw and paint. He has requested "art supplies" for his 7th b-day coming up Aug 30th. I haven't a clue where to start. All he talks about is being an artist and being an art teacher. I really want to encourage this. I took him to local art gallery and now his more interested than ever. Please give me some ideas on what sorts of things are agood medium for him to start off working with and of coarse safe for him to use. I have read the posts on what kind of paints are toxic so now i am just wondering what is best for a child his age to start using. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me out, thanks.

· Registered
145 Posts
There are so many wonderful kinds of art supplies to choose from. Any local art store, Michael's and Dick Blick (online) will have a lot of options. I would recommend getting "student grade" art supplies. These are decent quality (not the best) yet inexpensive fine art materials. They are much better than the supplies designed for little kids.

Here is a list of some thigns that may interest him:

pencils - 2B-6B are soft pencils good for drawing
eraser - pink pearl and kneaded eraser
sharpener
decent paper
colored pencils

watercolors (transparent paints) - set of 12 or so colors is pans are fine
2-3 brushes
watercolor/painting paper
acrylic or gouache paints (opaque) - set of tubes
mixing palette

soft pastels
oil pastels

· Registered
355 Posts
I second getting 'art quality' rather than kid quality supplies, the difference is HUGE. The $$ difference is not proportionate to their worth; the few bucks more you pay for 'real' materials gets you ten times over the kid versions. Buying cheap supplies is really frustrating for the young artist, and good quality materials give better results and are more encouraging.

Dick Blick has great quality 'student' watercolor sets, and they are on sale right now for DIRT CHEAP!!! I use these, professionally;
http://www.dickblick.com/zz003/05/

triangular pencils give you better control and precision(and help with tripod grasp for learning writing!)
http://www.dickblick.com/zz203/23/

And of course, every artist needs a 'space;'
http://www.dickblick.com/zz504/18/ (I don't know what your price range is, but that price is AMAZING for a kid's wooden easel.)

Dick Blick is my first choice for almost every artistic medium, they have great prices and above-average quality. I have also never been let down by their customer service, and they are really generous with schools and such. When my DD gets old enough to want art supplies, that will be my one-stop shop.

Good luck with your artist!
:

· Registered
355 Posts
Oh, and I forgot! I don't know if you are waldorfy, or any such school, but I tend to disagree with their ideas for teaching certain things, and their aversion to books and media for kids. If he's really interested, get him books of pictures/paintings/photography, let him cut magazine clippings of pictures that interest him, etc. It will give him better scope and it is MUCH easier to transfer a 2D image to a 2D material than it is to do anything 3D. Plus, it's a good way to get him thinking about style/color/composition, without pushing it down his throat or actively 'schooling' it.

Just my two cents.

· Registered
427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeybars View Post
Here is a list of some things that may interest him:

pencils - 2B-6B are soft pencils good for drawing
eraser - pink pearl and kneaded eraser
sharpener
decent paper
colored pencils

watercolors (transparent paints) - set of 12 or so colors is pans are fine
2-3 brushes
watercolor/painting paper
acrylic or gouache paints (opaque) - set of tubes
mixing palette

soft pastels
oil pastels
That is an excellent list

Don't forget a gum eraser! It's brown, blockish looking, and crumbles easily-- but a must have for pencils because it's gentle on paper. You'll want paper with "tooth" (texture, degrees vary) for him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.