Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 7am on the first day of school. The bus left ten minutes ago, which was around the time that we were all trying to wake up. My 5 year old would have left already! And he'd be on the bus for more than an hour until he would get to school. I wouldn't see him again until after 3pm. If I decided to go pick him up instead, I'd have to sit in horrendous school traffic and still wouldn't see him until around 3pm.

I literally cannot fathom the thought of him being gone all day! I stumbled downstairs to make a cup of tea and told my husband, in passing, "He'd be gone already!". DH smiled broadly and said, "I know! We definitely made the right decision!"

:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I think the same thing everyday when the school bus goes by at 7:10 in the morning. And we have been hsing for over a year now!

And then I laugh when the kids are dropped off at 2:45 and we are still in our PJs and just getting around to doing math!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
The school buses go right past our house (we're on the same street as the school) and my kids often remark how they love homeschooling when they see the buses.
My kids have never been to school, and I think at their ages they are really starting to appreciate how much more free time they have than the average schoolchild.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
I'm just shocked that elementary schools are starting so early in the summer! My friend in Ohio said her DD goes to grade 3 next week? In my day, school started the week after labour day. And it only went from 9 to 3. Now I hear about elementary schools that start at 8 am!

Just goes to show you how ineffective they are: all that time and they STILL can't teach them properly!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piglet68
. Now I hear about elementary schools that start at 8 am!

The bus gets my elem stepkids at 7am, school starts at 7:45.

The school system only has enough buses to get part of the kids at a time.,.so the elem kids are picked up first, then the high school kids, then the middle school kids.

The middle school step kid gets on the bus at 8, school starts at 9...BUT, school lets out at 4, he doesn't get home til FIVE!!!

That is HELL for trying to plan family activities and stuff around....basically, it means they have to get up at 6am, and then the WHOLE FRICKEN day is wrapped around school, until the other kid gets home at 5pm. 11 HOURS of the day, taken up by school.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.