Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my son has had gas really bad since he was born ok so I switched his formula after 2 weeks of being born and now at 5 months the gas is so bad its even worse now every nite and I mean every nite he wakes up on the hour grunting and farting we give him a bit of fennel tea and put him back on his stomach and then he wakes up again he is also taking baby nos which is all they have here where I live. And it seems like he doesnt have bad gas allllllllllll day until its time for him to sleep. I dont get it. Is it not gas could it be teething thats waking him up plus at nite when I feed him when hes real irritable he doesnt want to take the milk but he will drink fennel tea but then finally I turn on some Rod Stewart and then he takes the milk. What do I do im so lost ahhhhhhhhhhhhh its crazy every hour im up out of bed putting his paci in his mouth or giving him tea this has been going on for atleast a month.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Im sorry your son is having such problems with gas. I wonder if it is the formula. I don't know a whole lot about types of formula and I don't have experience with formula to make suggestions.

Are you nursing at all? Maybe something in your diet is bothering him (dairy?) I assume you are using bottles for formula, not an SNS, correct? If you are using bottles, make sure there isn't any air in the nipple while he is drinking or he will get even more gas. Hold the bottle more upright, instead of horizontal. Some people say Dr. Browns bottles are good, or The playtex nurser system with the collapsable liners so they don't get any air in their tummies. Use a slow flow nipple and burp baby every few ounces during the day.

My dd used to have gas issues sometimes when she was younger. I tried the simethicone drops a few times but they did not seem to help. I read that they were safe, but I am skeptical so I didn't use them since they didn't help too much anyway. I have also read that they aren't really proven to work, but that they should break up gas bubbles. I don't know if you want to give a medication that should work, but not sure if it will. For some babies, bicycling their legs helps them to release gas, and warm baths may help. I have heard that infant massage may help (I have a book on it, but never got around to reading it), but I don't know much about it. Maybe someone here knows about infant massage?

DD stoped having gas issues around 4 months. Now she just farts and gets it over with when she has gas.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I do the bath thing and the medicine u mentioned I do use but it works during the day but hes baddddddd at nite and it doesnt seem to work but u know what I think im misdiagnosing him cause he is farting but I dont think its the gas thats keeping him up I think its the teething now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.