Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1M old and a 2YO. What should I be striving for? What IYO is the perfect stash? I hardly have any really. Barely enough, I think to scape by on one day. Prefolds and 6 covers each. I hate the one cover for the 2YO, but have to use it. Also 2 Wool covers.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
If you're just doing prefolds...I would recommend:
2-3 dozen infant prefolds
2 dozen premium (or toddler) prefolds
6-8 covers for the baby
4-6 covers for the toddler
2-3 soakers for each

My personal favorites as far as brands & where to buy them are:
PFs...colorgrown OC from www.tinybirdsorganics.com
& unbleached indian PFs from www.diaperware.com
Covers...Bumpy from www.cottontailbaby.com Nikky & Niji from www.babybunz.com
Soakers...Aristocrats from www.cottontailbaby.com or Lana from www.tinybirdsorganics.com

HTH!

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I think a nice ample stash would be 24 prefolds for the older child and 36 for the baby, with 8 or 10 covers for the baby and 6 to 8 for the older child. I'd like at least two of the covers for each child to be wool, and I'd like a few pocket diapers for nighttime for both, to keep them from feeling wet at night. I've always had four for DD and it's been enough. A few AIO's are nice too for quick changes when you're out. Some inserts for the pockets, some doublers for the baby's prefolds, and a whole BUNCH of wipes (I have three dozen for one child, and I'm always running short) and you have a nice basic stash.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
IMO, the perfect stash for you would be enough where you have enough for each kid for 2-2.5 days. So even though you're probably washing every day like me, if you forget or don't have time to get them out of the dryer for a day you're not in trouble.

For me and my little super-soaker boys that's roughly...
Ds1 - 18 AIO's and prefolds for daytime and 3 HH's for nighttime (with prefolds, PUL covers and wool for backup when I slack on laundry).
Ds2 - 14 pockets, 6 AIO's, prefolds and PUL covers. We're upgrading to bigger size right now, so it's a bit tricky and the numbers are changing.

Since we're changing so many diapers, the easier, the better, so it's 90% AIO's/pockets rather than 2-step things like prefolds and covers. Plus I have a helluva time snappi'ing on a prefold onto my 2.5mo, takes me a while with those little pumping legs and grabby hands. We do have dozens of prefolds though, so we have plenty of backup.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Here's something like what I'll want to have on hand for a nb and an almost 2yo. I already have most of it but will add more nb stuff once I find out the gender, hopefully in a few weeks.

For the nb:

2 dozen prefolds
1 dozen fitteds
6-12 pockets/aios
8 pul covers
2-4 wool soakers/longies
2-4 wool Loveybums covers

That's more than enough for the nb. I like to have a little extra just because I have 2 changing areas, and I like them both to stay well stocked. Having extra also allows me to designate a few diapers for the diaperbag without having to cut into our home rotation.

For the 2yo:
12-18 prefolds
6 fitteds(2 of which are nighttime worthy)
6 pockets/aios
4 pul covers(Bummis SWW)
4 wool covers(3 Loveybums, 1 Aristocrat)

I have more than that for older dd, but what's listed above is more than enough for that age imo. Imo the 2yo doesn't need near as many, since they typically don't wet near as often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts