Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be ill.
My state, in an effort to "educate" parents, has started a new tv commercial campaign. The first commercial was about drowning in a pool. Ok, fair enough.
They have 2 more. The other one..about drowning also..this time in a bathtub instead of pool. Ok, great...let's get drowning awareness out there

The third one...is against co-sleeping!! A mother suffocates her infant while sleeping with her on a couch. (also note she is in almost a "breastfeeding" position..doubly rotten of them!!!) That in itself ***might*** be acceptable, since sleeping on a couch with an infant isn't really recommended...but the tagline at the end....

ARE YOU READY??????

"NEVER SLEEP WITH AN INFANT.

EVEN FOR A MOMENT.

BECAUSE A MOMENT IS ALL IT TAKES.
FOR AN INFANT TO SUFFOCATE"

Go here
http://southbendtribune.com/apps/pbc...s01/607270387#

and you have the option to "see the commercials" on the right side.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobandjess99

"NEVER SLEEP WITH AN INFANT.

EVEN FOR A MOMENT.

BECAUSE A MOMENT IS ALL IT TAKES.
FOR AN INFANT TO SUFFOCATE"
That sucks! I'd be MOST upset because if my MIL were reading that it would give her more fuel to attack our family practices....but because I read and inform myself,it'd never deter me from cosleeping.

sarah

·
Registered
436 Posts
That commercial makes me sick. I didn't read the whole forum right now, but just wanted to let you all know that I think it is sad and horrible that you are all subject to watching that on TV in Indianda, was it?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Wow the pool ad and the cosleeping one were horrific. But at least the pool one was reasonable (in that leaving a child near a pool unsupervised is indeed dangerous). The cosleeping one is so bad, it doesnt say cosleep safely or anything. Just "never sleep with your baby" - what a sweeping statement. So many mainstream parents I know admit to having coslept at least part time, so this will affect a lot of parents out there. What an irrisponsible ad campaign.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I left a comment about the co-sleeping one.

I know it is all acting but the one with the girl in the bathtub really made me sick. At the end you can hear sputtering.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
That's really sick that they have commericals like that on TV. It's graphic and extremely disturbing to some veiwers. There are better ways to educate people on the dangers of drowning. Actually showing a child sputtering is playing on the frear-driven society that we have become. Yes, it is important to get the message across that children need to be supervised while swimming, and it is never a good idea to swim alone, even if you are an adult and an experienced swimmer. However, you can imply situations and people get the point, there is not need to simulate a horror movie. Also, it is inaccurate, because a lot of children make no sounds while drowning. Just the other day, I was at the pool in our apartment complex and a child whose parents were there, just not looking at her, fell into the water and was unable to get to the surface. I turned around and just happened to see her struggling and without thinking just grabbed her and pulled her to the surface. She coughed and cried a little but thank goodness she was okay. What's even worse, her parents didn't even say thank you, and proceeded to avoid us the entire time and give us dirty looks. We saw them again the other day, and they yelled at their kids to stay away from us every time they came near us. It was really sad.

Anyhoo, sorry that was off-topic but it just gets me really angry. How dare they attack co-sleeping like that! Studies have shown that co-sleeping, when done properly, can reduce the risk of SIDS and foster better sleep for both mother and baby, as well as kick start the nursing relationship. As for those "large scale studies" they included every incident of co-sleeping, including those they were on the couch, or with dads or siblings, and also mother who were on drugs fell asleep drunk with their infants. So, of course the studies showed what they wanted them to: that co-sleeping is dangerous. What they fail to mention, is that crib sleeping can be just as dangerous. Each sleep method has risks, and each has benefits. Each family has to gauge the risks and benefits for themselves, and go with what's best for them and baby. Most often times, co-sleeping works, when done safely. But of course, that doesn't their agenda, so you won't every hear the "experts"(why do we call them that anyway? Did you know that to be considered and "expert" all you have to do is go to school for couple of years, and that you don't even have to be a parent? So basically you aren't required to have any experience) say that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My dad has a theory that there is one product sold in the US- fear. Fear that you won't be popular- buy this car, clothing...fear you won't be healthy, buy this medicine, suppliment....

Seems like in the name of 'public safety' they have taken it to a whole new level and are just 'selling' fear straight up!

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by foenyx
My dad has a theory that there is one product sold in the US- fear. Fear that you won't be popular- buy this car, clothing...fear you won't be healthy, buy this medicine, suppliment....

Seems like in the name of 'public safety' they have taken it to a whole new level and are just 'selling' fear straight up!
Yup, exactly! Just look at the way the government is going and you can see what this s*** flies.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
How about this... never sleep with an infant if you are a deep sleeper, if you lack the keen awareness of a child that most breastfeeding mothers possess, or if you have a tendancy to toss and turn. Co-sleeping is NOT for everyone, of course, but it's not NOT for everyone either. How stupid. My doctor says she's worked in a lot of countries where co-sleeping is the norm, and she's never believed it to be an issue so long as common sense is used.

I also agree that it is disgusting to put such graphic and disturbing videos on TV. Little children could see it and be scared of pools, bath tubs, or think mommies just aren't protective enough. Imagine if a co-sleeping toddler saw it and suddenly refused the family bed. Or if parents who have been safely co-sleeping see it and stop co-sleeping, before their child is ready to transition to a big boy bed?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I really think they were way to alarmist with teh ads. I agree about teh america selling fear concept. But teh co sleeping one IMO was unwarranted. It was so cut and dry, black and white. seriously though, what about other cultures where co sleeping is the norm? It just pist me off. The safest place for my kids is in bed with me and all three of them often do. Ridiculous. And sad that that ad is out theer where parents who dont know better will believe it.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I wrote an e-mail to the communications director of Indiana DCS. I copied it into my post under the Indiana tribal area. Kaitnbugsmom used part of that letter to compose one for WTHR (our NBC affiliate who is airing the ads).

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Guess my thread got posted too late..

I've also revised Kristins letter again to send out to some of wthr's affiliates {wfms/wgrl/wibc} and other media resources touting the ads. WTHR by far makes me the most sick though, because they are famous for their highly effective anti domestic violence information campaign, and that is truly a wonderful thing that has helped many families in our state. So alot of people have come to trust their word as gold. and now they are not only airing these horrid ads, they are doing interviews with nurses and so forth who also state that co-sleeping is deadly, child neglect/endangerment & so on.
:cry I'm trying to find out from other moms in my homeschooling network if the other NBC affiliates are being as gung-ho as WTHR is about backing this campaign. I'd especially like to see what the Bloomington area media is doing, considering how large of an AP community there is in that area...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by APMomOfKimmyN-Maya
Co-sleeping is one of the single most wonderful things I feel I have done for my kids- and they are in no danger in my bed.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Quote:

I think you dad is very smart.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have been writing letters like crazy too. It is absolutely ridiculous. When we KNOW people are going to cosleep, it seems irresponsible not to promote safe cosleeping practices instead of making moms who are feel like their child is standing on the brink of death.

Indiana has had several years in a row with a large number of cosleeping deaths. We will never know if those were caused by drug or alcohol use or other unsafe practices.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Quote:

I agree with your dad there. I am so sick of this propaganda - and that SI what it is, no mistake. why do they want all this ignorance, I cant even imagine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts