Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ETA: This was supposed to be a reply to the post about who will or will not be drinking Champagne for the New Year!!

Personally, I think there is a lot of garbage that we put in to our bodies as a pregnant society, that I don't think a sip of alcohol is going to jeopardize the baby's health. I mean, it's not for anyone to judge anyone's health or wellness decisions, unless they have never put a food preservative, food coloring, refined flour, sugar, or any processed or chemical laiden food into their body. And besides, some alcohol can be totally organic and without chemicals...created NATURALLY! So cin cin to everyone here at MDC. And just be sure to chase with some H2O!!!!

Lighten up Ladies...it's 2005!!!!!

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Quote:
that I don't think a sip of alcohol is going to jeopardize the baby's health. I mean, it's not for anyone to judge anyone's health or wellness decisions, unless they have never put a food preservative, food coloring, refined flour, sugar, or any processed or chemical laiden food into their body. And besides, some alcohol can be totally organic and without chemicals...created NATURALLY! So cin cin to everyone here at MDC. And just be sure to chase with some H2O!!!!

Lighten up Ladies...it's 2005!!!!!
Well, the problem with this line of thinking is that preservatives and food coloring use in pregnant women haven't been proven to cause mental retardation and physical deformities in babies. And the processing of alcohol does not matter- just like snorting "pure" cocaine can kill you, so can drinking "organic" alcohol. And no amount of diluting with water will keep the alcohol from crossing the placenta- doesn't matter how much you eat with your drink, either. It may affect how drunk YOU get, but the baby gets the same amount. I guess I take pg waaaaay to seriously to just "lighten up" and play roulette with my baby's health. People need to make their own choices, I agree. But trying to justify them with responses like this that contain no reasonable scientific data to support the ideas is just ridiculous, IMO.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
man they're going after you too Alisa! What evil mothers we are, playing "roulette" by having a glass of wine! Until you super-mommies who take your pregnancies "so seriously" can get off your high-horse long enough to provide me with actual SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that 1 drink will damage my baby then we should all drop it and agree to disagree. Seriously show me somewhere where it says definitively that 1 DRINK will harm my child!

All you have are these studies that show that light or moderate drinking can "cause cellular changes"- oh but it's ok to eat preservatives and drink chlorinated water, and drink caffeine everyday- cause there are no studies on that to quote yet??? gimme a break

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Quote:
Until you super-mommies who take your pregnancies "so seriously" can get off your high-horse long enough to provide me with actual SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that 1 drink will damage my baby then we should all drop it and agree to disagree. Seriously show me somewhere where it says definitively that 1 DRINK will harm my child!
Following the same line of thinking- isn't it more dangerous to take a chance with your baby's health, knowing that some amount of alcohol can damage him/her forever, than it is to abstain and know for sure that your baby is protected from that certain disease? Show me somewhere where it says definitively that 1 DRINK will NOT harm my child.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
So you don't ingest any caffeine, pesticides, chlorine, soft drinks, preservatives??? Show me somewhere where it says that any amounts of these are ok?

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Jen, being antagonistic towards everyone who is saying things you don't want to hear isn't productive. But, in response to your post, I have not seen any scientific data that proves soft drinks, preservatives, or chlorinated water ingested during pregnancy cause significant birth defects- both physical and mental. The info on FAS is out there- it's proven, and it's undisputable. Why are you trying to get around it?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
The fact is these are all personal choices no one should be condemned over- some of use accept the fact that although alcohol has not been proven 100% safe- we have known numerous women who have had a single drink and have normal kids. Others don't want to accept that 0.0000001% risk- that's cool- but it doesn't make us bad mothers if we accept such a risk that to us constitutes paranoia.

Just like it doesn't make you a bad mother if you accept the 0.0000001% risk that having a sip of chlorinated water or a little lunch meat with preservatives will harm your baby.

These are personal choices and opinions- there is no way to solve this because there is no evidence to support or refute either of our claims- only anecdotal- and I am comfortable with the numerous women I know who had had a single drink and have normal kids. If you don't feel comfortable don't take the risk, but don't condemn those who do.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
It states in all the scientific literature, and a direct quote is: "there is no known safe level of alcohol consumption during pregnancy." Period. None.
Please check out the scientic studies and then make your choice.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I have seen all the data and all the studies- yes FAS and FAE have been proven but no study has ever been done on people or animals for that matter who ingest the equivalent to 1 single glass of wine!

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
all of these "indisputable studies" have been done on moderate levels of alcohol or massive amounts in animals

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
there is no known safe level of alcohol consumption during pregnancy."

the reason for this is that no studies have EVER been done on women who ingest very small amounts of alcohol once during pregnancy (such as 1 glass of wine one time)

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveChild421
there is no known safe level of alcohol consumption during pregnancy."

the reason for this is that no studies have EVER been done on women who ingest very small amounts of alcohol once during pregnancy (such as 1 glass of wine one time)
Because that would be highly unethical! They could not do a study like that due to liablity. Because, that one person to have a baby born with a type of FAS could sue the dickens out of the reseachers/company.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
So, going by your line of thinking it's better sorry than safe, rather than better safe than sorry? Just b/c we don't agree with you, Jen, doesn't mean we are on a "high-horse". It's not the fact that you choose to have a drink that has me respecting you less, it's the way you are attacking everyone who doesn't agree with you. No-one said you are "evil" for having a drink, that came from your mouth only. We just don't think it's worth taking a risk with our child's health. And no, I don't drink soft drinks, we eat organic (so no pesticides), and I don't drink caffine.

AmiBeth

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliMommie
Cristina~ We cross-posted, my post was not directed at you.

AmiBeth
Amibeth, not a biggie. I think we have to remember that is all about personal chioce. For many, none of us would risk a drink vs not risk a drink. Those that took that risk, be comfortable in your choice, but know your risk and accept it. Do not justify it but saying, well some drink soda, eat preservatives. There are no KNOWN risks to that, but there are KNOWN risks to that one drink. That is all. Because you took that risk does not make you a bad mom. But those here want to see you informed, that is all.
We can even take this to Formula feeding & vaccinations. WE all have the right to INFORMED CONSENT, and then stand in the choice that we made.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
:LOL I am attacking you guys!!!! Look how many posts have ganged up against me! I could go through them all and cite numerous instances of people saying I am "risking my child" or "harming my child" or "I'm uneducated and young so I have no idea" or "I'm just a college student who is ignorant" or all this.

I will defend myself when attacked by people yes are on a high horse and think they are better than us moms who have 1 drink. As I posted in my op- I merely wanted to say cheers to all the other moms and see how many of us are partaking- I never asked for a debate or for people to tell me I am "risking my child."

And animal studies would not be unethical at all- it is very possible to do studies like the ones that were done with massive or moderate amounts of alcohol with small amounts equivalent to a single glass of wine. Why aren't these studies done? I would say because most scientists know they would yeild no correlations.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Quote:
Just b/c we don't agree with you, Jen, doesn't mean we are on a "high-horse". It's not the fact that you choose to have a drink that has me respecting you less, it's the way you are attacking everyone who doesn't agree with you.
All I asked in my op was who is having some champagne? If you aren't all you had to respond was "nope not me" like some of the other moms did. Some moms however felt the need to attack us who do fully accept the miniscule "risk" that this amounts to. Let us turn our attention to things that matter a whole lot more than if someone has 1 drink or not!

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Quote:
Let us turn our attention to things that matter a whole lot more than if someone has 1 drink or not
Can anyone here think of anything that matters more at this very moment than the health of our children? Anyone?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.