Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a gay male has the surgery to become a woman and still likes men is he still considered gay or since he is now a she considered straight? ( please no flames and it was not asked in ugliness he was just confused and I don't know??? I mean I am confusing enough already being married and preferring women
) thx for the help and Iwill pass it on

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:
"If a gay male has the surgery to become a woman and still likes men is he still considered gay or since he is now a she considered straight?"
If a person who is attracted to men is living as a gay man and then transitions to live as a woman she would most likely identify as straight. Most women who are attracted only to men identify as straight.

However, there are several trans-folk who consider being gay/queer to be such a part of their identity that they may still identify as queer of one sort or another after transitioning. Of course it all depends on the individual.

But to answer your dc's question most simply, I would say yes, typically.

Thanks for trying to get answers for a teen who had questions!

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and max I try to find answers when I don't know them

I only came out as bi not too long ago and ds 18 and dd 12 both feel pretty sure that they are too...

ds had watched a movie that sparked the question don't know the name though but the partner left after the surgery because he was a she now..

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think each person transitioning in the situation you describe is different. I would maybe explain that to your teen. Identities- gender, sexual, etc. are so complex. I would say however the person having surgery identifies is who they are.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lunadoula
I think each person transitioning in the situation you describe is different. I would maybe explain that to your teen. Identities- gender, sexual, etc. are so complex. I would say however the person having surgery identifies is who they are.
Exactly.

My grandfather was never with men (as far as I'm aware) before his surgery. After his surgery he was excited at the idea of being able to date again and I asked if he'd date men or women. He said men. He also said that he is not gay (and that he never was), so (now) she identifies as a straight woman, whereas before he was a straight man, but I don't know that it would be true to say that all transgendered people identify the same way.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I was friends with a gay male couple. One of them wanted to have surgery to become a woman, but the other didn't want him to have the surgery, b/c then he would be a woman and he's attracted to men- so they would have to separate. They were together for a long time and this was a recurring argument btw them. Not exactly your question, but related, I think. JUst wanted to share.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I think the most important answer is that everyone is different and the only person who can tell you whether or not they are straight is the person in question.
I am currently dating a transexual male. He was born in a female body. He is not "straight" as he spent a long time identifying as a female. But he finds himself attracted to women. I am not "straight" as I am dating someone without a penis. It is so hard to classify people. It's all so personal.
It's all about the love.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts