Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have come to realize that my dd has very messy poops unless she eats some banana every single day.  Not watery or runny exactly, but pretty mushy and gloppy - not what you want to see in a 13 month old's <span style="text-decoration:underline;">cloth</span> diaper.  Even when she eats enough banana, some of her poops are this way.  But, usually, the bananas keep her poops a little more solid.  And then it's this delicate balance because the slightest bit too much banana will constipate her!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We have taken a break from cloth diapers because I am pregnant and incredibly nauseous and simply can't manage the laundry or dealing with scraping poop off of the cloth.  I don't want to go back to cloth until I figure out what the deal is. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Her diet is pretty normal I think:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>-Breakfast is often a homemake potato pancake or Happy Belly oatmeal with pear/blueberry puree along with some fresh fruit (banana, avocado and/or kiwi)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>-Lunch is something like ground chicken or beef balled up with cream cheese and ground spinach, some cubes of cheese, peas, cubed carrots...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>-Dinner is often something like homemade baby chicken soup, chili over whole wheat spaghetti, plain full fat yogurt, more peas, puffs if she's still hungry.  Sometimes an organic graham cracker teething biscuit.  Water with every meal, no juice.  I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.  Everything is homemade aside from the puffs, teething buscuits and Happy Belly oatmeal.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>She drinks whole milk, but she's had this problem since before the whole milk. (roughly 20oz a day)  I introduced all foods slowly and gradually and nothing ever caused a specific or noticeable reaction.  The poop just isn't solid enough to shake off the diaper into the toilet and I've realized that I'm dreading getting back to cloth diapers!!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any ideas?  Is it normal to NEED banana for binding?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>**I know I can use a diaper sprayer, but I am also dreading the fine-spray spalshback in our very shallow toilet and then managing a dripping diaper back into the baby's room to put in the diaper pail.  VERY tiny bathroom with zero room for a pail in there.**</p>

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>In our experience, mushy poops is related to my DS's food intolerances. Things like apples & carrots are also like a laxative for him. Removing the foods he's intolerant of and a good probiotic firm things up to "normal"</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Just to throw confusion in though - teething also irritates his digestion and makes his poop mushy.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts