Mothering Forum banner

My toddler is regressing- any experience?

703 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ewe+lamb 
#1 ·
Somewhat since we told her mommy was having a baby and especially since our ultrasound on Monday, DD who is 33 months old has started acting baby-like again.

She peed on the couch about 3 times- She's been using the potty for months and only wears pullups on outings. She has also been wanting to nurse a lot and asked for baby food a couple times (she never really liked babyfood even as a 1 year old!) She also has been whining more.

It seems like I've seen articles on this in parenting mags in the past but didn't pay attention. Does anyone have advice on how to handle her behavior? Or should I just let her grow out of it... I started putting pullups on her around the house. She used to protest saying "I'm a big girl" but now she happily wears them.

She still has a good 6 months to be an only child so hopefully with some TLC she will feel secure enough to be the big sister once the baby arrives. Any advice or commiseration would be appreciated though.

--Kelly

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. What you're saying makes sense. I'll keep reminding her she's my girl and I love her and not emphasize "big girl".

Lucyem, I had heard about the 3 years apart studies and she'll be almost 3 1/2 when the baby arrives, so I think that will really help too in our case.

I think I'll try not to talk much about the baby the next few months and gradually start reading her the book I bought called "Mommy's Having A Baby".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.