Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS was such a high-needs baby, but once he got mobile, things were pretty easy. Not his little sister... she started out very calm, slept through the night immediately, etc., but my goodness, now she screams and hits her brother and throws things and says "No!" to everything. She refuses to have her hair washed or brushed, her teeth brushed, her diaper changed, her clothes changed.

She doesn't want to go up and she doesn't want to go down. She doesn't want milk or water or juice, but she wants something to drink. She wants the water off, but she wants it on, too. And when she can't have both, or neither, she sits and screams inconsolably (won't nurse, won't be held or touched).

Someone please tell me (a) your toddler did or does this too and (b) that it is not permanent!!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
We have just been through yet another screaming all day phase. I find they usually last about a month or so (sorry) and then dissipate for a while, and then come back again later. My ds usually gets them just before he is going to master a new skill, or if he's not sleeping well, or if he's sick and I don't know it yet (upset tummy, stuffy nose but not full blown cold I can "see") or if he's just pushing the boundaries. I have found the best way to deal with it (not the way I always end up dealing with it, but on my good days . . .) is to just be matter of fact about things like diapers, clothes, etc --I literally lie him on the floor and wrap a leg across him so he can't escape and change his diaper, or hold him on my lap and put on his shoes. And with other things I just stop giving him choices. If he wants a drink and won't decide, I give him something in a cup. If he doesn't like it, I just ignore him until he stops fussing. I stay in the room if I have the patience, or I go and do some laundry or something else if I'm right at the end of my rope. (he inevitably comes to find me and scream in the room I move to). I try to stay calm and consistent with things like asking him to use a nice voice when he asks for something, removing him from the person he has hit and isolating him and saying "no hitting", etc, etc. But its one of those things you just have to try not to react to, even though it's really distressing. They just seem to go through screamy, frustrated stages sometimes.

Oh, the other thing that sometimes helps him is putting him in a "safe", non-stimulating place (he has always been easily overstimulated and overwhelmed). For him this generally means his stroller. Sometimes he will not nap and will be hitting me and screaming and kicking and being generally hornery, and I strap him in the stroller and he instantly calms down, and I just wheel him around the house for a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
You are really making me afraid of toddlerhood.....
Be afraid. Be VERY afraid. LOL...

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Supervee, just yesterday there was a thread about this. I think it is now on the second page.

Yes, I am there too.

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I see know it's a meme with the toddlers!

Saturday night she screamed for 2 hours, for no apparent reason. Geez.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.