Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone..
My 20 month old son won't let me brush his teeth. He used to be fine with it but these days I can't get anywhere near him with a toothbrush and he won't do it himself. Does anyone know of any tips, tricks or strategies to get a toddler to let you brush their teeth? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Have you tried brushing your teeth at the same time and letting him brush yours? You don't have to just give him the brush and let him poke your gums raw, you can be holding it and let him direct it w/some guidance from you. I've found that my kids really enjoy that and then they get excited about brushing their teeth too.

Raffi also has a great teeth brushing song that we LOOOVE in our house. My DS always wants me to sing it to him and I've even modified it to get him to bear his teeth so I can brush the front.

You could also go to the supermarket and let him choose (from a selection you hold in your hand) his very own toothbrush. That may help get him excited about it again!

Hope these help, somewhat! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Just a week ago I was having the same problem. Then I read a similar thread on this forum, and someone suggested that you tell your dc you're trying to brush an animal character out of his/her mouth. I thought it sounded strange, but it really works! I tell ds that he's got Winnie the Pooh running around on his bottom teeth and that we've got to brush him out of there. And then we've gotta stop tigger bouncing from tooth to tooth on the top. You can use whatever animal or character that'll get his attention. I don't know why, but it really has worked for us. And thanks to the original mama who suggested it!

·
Registered
191 Posts
That's a great idea. I think sometimes the solution is to make it all fun -- it's just HOW to do it!

My dentist suggested putting toothpaste that you can swallow on the brush. Now she gets excited to taste the strawberry banana paste and brushes.

·
Banned
972 Posts
In our case, the toothbrushing thing was about independence and autonomy, so I've been letting my DD brush her own teeth for the last few months. She has come to do a pretty good job of it. The harder I brush and make the toothpaste foam, the more she does the same. To teach her to brush her back teeth-- I took someone's suggestion here and I lied down on the floor and opened my mouth wide, so that she could see I had molars in the back. And then I brushed them, so she started digging around her mouth more with her toothbrush, too. Then I did the getting the animals out of the mouth thing too. (In our case it's monkeys.) She used to refuse to let me brush her teeth, that's why I started with all of this. But now that I let her brush her own teeth, she lets me finish up the job. (After all, she can't get the back sides of her teeth very well.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are all really great suggestions. I like the idea of chasing an animal around your dc's mouth but I think my son is still too young for that one, he's only 20 mos and not talking yet so I'm not sure he would understand it, but I'll definately remember it for later. Tonight when I put ds to bed I'm gonna give all of these suggestions a try. I've got the strawberry banana toothpaste ready!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all!
I tried your suggestions last night and I'm happy to report that I was able to brush my son's teeth. It was a quick brushing but hey, it's a start.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts