Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing raw since October, since my one dog's cancer diagnosis. It's worked really well for us so far. BUT Now I'm pregnant. The thought of dealing with the meat is really gross to me but you know what really gets me gagging? The ground veggies. It just kills me to smell ground spinach and carrots and broccoli!. Major YUCK!!!<br><br>
So, why don't I get the dh to deal with feeding the dogs? He's out of town! Double YUCK. So i'm dealing the dogs, the nasty food, the toddler ......my house is a wreck at the moment!<br><br>
On another note, I have decided to source the nutriceutical medications my dog has been on for her cancer treatment elsewhere from the vet I have been working with, as they are incredibly expensive. Well, that search led me to contact the company that makes the Chinese herbs directly since they only sell to licensed veterinarians. I happen to work one Sat a month for a vet clinic, so I am an employee there. In speaking with them, I learned that my dog has been on the WRONG formula for the cancer she has for FIVE months! With the type of cancer she has, the oncologist gave her 3-4 months to live. I suspect it's given her some benefit but it was not the right formula. Now I have her on the right formula at the cost of the meds, with no mark up. The other vet sold them to me for $60 a bottle. I just paid $16.50 for the same bottle. I feel a little bit ripped off to say the least!<br><br>
I'm no longer going to work with the other vet. I'm sticking with the Chinese herbalist vet!

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Wow Karen!! First, big congrats on the pregnancy!!!!<br>
Yep the markup on this type of animal product is absolutely stupid and I think it prevents a lot of people from "taking the risk" with alternative therapies. I'm glad the dog is still doing well though? Any symptoms other than her lump??<br><br>
Can you try having your dh (when he's back) prepare and freeze a bunch of the veggies so that when you need to feed you can feed them a frozen block?

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you read <a href="http://www.rawfed.com/myths/index.html" target="_blank">this</a> site, you may decide you don't need to feed the veggies at all.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bia, thanks for that link. I'll read there when I feel better.<br><br>
Shannon, she's experiencing a small tumor in her left eye. When my vet looked up this sort of thing in his textbook, it said the second most common cause of growths like this is hemangiosarcoma, so, yes, she's experiencing another complication. I'm treating it with topical pred acetate drops to help with inflammation. I have just put her on Deramax for it's anti-inflammatory and pain killing properties. It seems to be helping her.<br>
She's slowed down a bit, sleeps more than she used to. She seems happy enough.<br><br>
There is absolutely NO escuse for that sort of mark up on a product. Come on, you buy it for $16.50 and retail it for $60. Sorry, I think that is criminal and seriously brings into question the motivation to be "helping" pets. It's more like he's got a yacht payment due! I've quietly slipped away from his practice and won't call him again. I suspect he'll not even notice, nor will his staff. To have my dog on the wrong formula for an aggressive cancer is frankly unforgivable, and to charge me THAT mark up. Nope!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts