Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back in the beginning of my pregnancy I was planning really far ahead, and had done some searching here of the different tub options... I found a couple of threads where people had decked out their troughs and made them super comfy looking, and that got my wheels turning :) Then a week or two ago we measured in our room to discover that the La Bassine my midwife usually uses would take up virtually every available inch of floor space, so my mind went back to the cool troughs I had seen months ago. We looked at our local farm & ranch store and found out that we could get a tub for $60, and my mind was made up that it was what I wanted :) My doula and I got it all ready to go today, so I thought I would share for anyone else planning to birth in a trough, it is so comfortable with the modifications/additions we made! https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150639792140061.695683.544230060&l=6b9a61f3af

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have had many clients, esp. years ago who birthed in Brandy new Cattle watering troughs. It is sturdy & cheap. I have the client/couple to arrange for someone whose job is to montor the water temp, take out cooling water & bring in hot water. Cattle troughs were very popular years ago.

Karen Benfield, CNM & owner of BirthTender

A homebirthing, well woman, & family planning practice, covering Western and Central NC

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, my birth was only about 3 hours, everything went so fast and baby's heart tones weren't overly reassuring due to how fast she was moving down, so I didn't get to use it :( It looked super comfy though, and it was great dry...

·
Registered
329 Posts
I used a 100 gallon rubbermaid horse trough and it worked great, and filled in about 20 minutes from a single hot water heater. It wasn't "expansive" but it was big enough. Without that tub, my daughter would not have been born vaginally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.