Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was originally in the "no ultrasound" club, but after some complications with my last pregnancy, my DH really wanted to have one done this time. My midwives at the birth center refer ultrasounds to a maternal-fetal medicine clinic at a nearby hospital, so that is where we went.

So we go in for the ultrasound. First time I've ever had a male tech, but he was very friendly and very nice. Did the ultrasound and said the baby looked like it was growing well. Then they covered me up and I waited for the doctor (a perinatologist) to come in and double check things.

So enter the doctor. He asks me about a brain malformation I reported on my risk sheet I had to fill out before the ultrasound. I tell him I have a vein malformation in my brain, but its not genetic and it means nothing (its about as relevant to my life as having freckles- just something that developed in utero for me but has no barring or risk on my life). He goes on to measure the baby's brain again and re-takes the measurements. He asks me a bunch of serious questions- like have I had any of the prenatal screens (NO!) and would I be interested in them (again, NO!). He even asks me if I've had a biopsy on my uterus done (NO!). I'm starting to get curious, so I ask him why he's asking. He says the baby's cerebellar magnum measurment is within normal parameters but is on the large size of normal, and that he wants to check the baby again for growth at 28 weeks. I asked him how small the baby was measuring. He said the baby wasn't particularly small (48% for growth) but he just wants to recheck things so their are "no surprises".

Ok, so I'm thinking "no surprises"??? What on earth is that supposed to mean? I have an appointment with my midwife on Monday and I'm going to ask her if she thinks another ultrasound is necessary. My husband thinks I'm over-reacting and that the doctor was over-reacting as well especially considering how he repeated over and over again that everything was measuring/looking within normal ranges.

: So much for peace of mind. At least I know that the complications I had with my DD are not existent in this pg.

· Registered
1,756 Posts
Oh, sweetie
Those are some really scary questions. I hope your midwife can help you put it into perspective. For what it's worth, your DH sounds like he's being pretty unreasonable -- first he encourages you to get the ultrasound and now that there's a cause for concern, he's blowing off your worries??
Be gentle with yourself.

· Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ladies. I'm still a little
:

On the plus side, the tech recorded my ENTIRE ultrasound, so I was able to write down and look up all the fetal measurements online. They are all within normal parameters (thanks to google I checked them all). I'm not sure what they are wanting to "make sure" isn't wrong, but I'm starting to think that if something was seriously wrong, that there would be more evidence (or "markers" as they call them) of it.

Still anxiously waiting to talk to my midwife on Monday. On the plus side DH and I are having a get-away weekend and are going to a marriage retreat, so hopefully the weekend will go by quickly.

I of all people should know not to worry about these things. They had me freaked out about my DD and she is perfectly normal. So I of all people should know how off ultrasounds can be...

· Registered
2,372 Posts
Is it the perinates at the UWMC? If so, they're always like that. Take it with a huge grain of salt. They're smart, but NO bedside manner. One of them told a patient once that a reason to still be breech at term was anencephaly, and then followed it up with, "Oh, but that's not what's going on here." I don't think that poor woman heard a word he said after "anencephaly" and she ended up calling L&D in a panic in the middle of the night. I think perinates are mostly pretty dense when it comes to communication skills.

· Registered
2,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tempestjewel
Ok, so I'm thinking "no surprises"??? What on earth is that supposed to mean?
If this really was a genuine question and not a rhetorical one, he means "no detectable birth defects."

Your baby sounds FINE. He's probably playing it safe, hon.

· Registered
3,450 Posts
Naomi

I'm sorry they made you stressed out over this. I am sure everything is absolutely fine and they are just being overly cautious (and fear promoting). Remember, the medical model looks for things to go wrong, not the other way around. You know much more about your body and baby than an u/s can tell you.

Early on in my pregnancy, there was one time in my series of hcg levels when they didn't double. The nurse called me at 7am before work and really scared me, telling me to be cautious and unattached to the pregnancy, because it could be an ectopic. I was very upset, called my Dh and Mom, and cried a lot. Then, I googled hcg and discovered that when your levels reach a certain point (over 6,000, I think) doubling can take over 4 days. Needless to say, the medical establishment made me worry unneccesarily.

A mantra may be helpful for you just to calm down a bit. I like, "My baby is happy and healthy and growing perfectly." I take walks by myself and repeat this phrase a lot. I can feel my body and mind relaxing when I do it.

Also, know that you can call your Mw anytime if you need her. I'm sure you know this. Hugs mama, I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing weekend with your Dh.

· Registered
824 Posts
Oh man, I'd be wigged out too. Even though it does sound like the doc is being super cautious, it's got to be so hard to stamp out that voice in the back of your head. Hopefully your midwife can put your mind at ease. Until then, think positive and enjoy your weekend, it sounds like a lot of fun!

· Registered
25 Posts
THat is EXACTLy why I am so opposed to routine anything in normal pregnancy. Everything checks out normal.
But STILL the medical people find some wacked way of making even NORMAL abnormal- How ridiculous is it to say its on the larger side of NORMAL??!!
I am so sorry you went through that. Thats just JUNK.

The stress that caused you is much more detrimental IMO.

I would not go back for anymore testing. Trust in your body and baby, and thank your body for taking such good care of your little one, and doing such a perfect job of making him/ her perfect.

:

· Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update!

Saw my midwife today who I

She figures the doc was most concerned because he couldn't see the baby's facial features and profile, not that there is a growth issue. She said according to the report everything looks perfect. She then gave me a copy of the report so I could read it and have it which I have NEVER heard of a doctor doing! I
midwifery!

She said going back for another ultrasound is unnecessary unless its something that's going to be a nagging issue for me. It isn't. I'm cancelling the follow-up appointment and not going back. I'm perfectly fine not having seen a perfectly formed face on the u/s- I'm completely unconcerned with that!

She said the particular doc I saw has seen a lot of tough stuff and probably forgets sometime what normal is, and that nothing needs to be done with or for a normal baby!

Thanks for your support everyone, it really helped. And, the weekend retreat was fabulous with my DH! Our anniversary is today so it was the perfect celebration and recommitment for us!

· Registered
819 Posts
Oh, I'm so glad that your midwife was able to offer reassurance and perspective! Perinatologists are high risk doctors that generally care for women with a strong chance of tragic pregnancy outcomes. The worst that happens out there is what they care for. And we expect them to be overly cautious, to look for the worst and pick up all the smallest details. It makes them an excellent place for having a very accurate and reliable ultrasound - it's what they do all day, and they generally have very top notch equipment for it. But the drawback is that they aren't gonna brush off a small thing as "probably normal," they're gonna be paranoid and want to follow up to make SURE it's normal, ha. It's great you have a lovely midwife to set things straight rather than another overly cautious primary care doctor to keep you anxious over nothing

· Registered
981 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WinterBaby
Oh, I'm so glad that your midwife was able to offer reassurance and perspective! Perinatologists are high risk doctors that generally care for women with a strong chance of tragic pregnancy outcomes. The worst that happens out there is what they care for. And we expect them to be overly cautious, to look for the worst and pick up all the smallest details.
Yup, peris are the doom-and-gloom docs. They often have to work really hard not to let all the bad stuff they see cloud the regular visits (my sis is a 4th year med student and she's spent quite a bit of scary time with the perinatologists). If you hadn't had a history of "abnormalities" (even if it is a perfectly normal abnormality) they probably would have let the whole thing go. DH had an older brother who was born without an aorta. When, after two sonograms at my OB's office, they still couldn't get a good view of our first baby's 4 chambers (plus baby had some kidney issues) we were sent to a peri. Lots of poking and prodding, lost of clicking and intent stares at the sonagram screen, but all was fine in the end.

Sorry you had to go through the stress, but I'm glad all is well!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.