Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 mos old DS is so curious about everything and everyone around him (particularly his 19 mos old brother) that whenever we nurse he is completely distracted and pulls on and off, smiling, laughing, cooing etc..... The only time I feel like he completely empties my breasts is during the night! Not only does this make nursing in public difficult, I have tried going to a different room, nursing in a sling- I have even been so desperate as to pump and give him a bottle of EBM (which also did not work!) He is gaining fine, and is happy- but it does worry me a bit- and I am engorged at various points during the day. I know that all babies do this to some extent, but this has become very pronounced lately. For example- today maybe three feedings were "good" feedings and the others were just snacking because he was so distracted! Now I am sure he will want to nurse all night. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It is totally the age...try bf in a quite dark room with no sounds...kind of hard with other siblings in the house...but this will pass..cont to offer the breast as much as possible...esp. since you said you feel engorged..you want to keep your breast stimulated and emptied...to up your supply...however if baby bf on demand he/she will bring your supply back up once he is over this stage...if you are concerned that your supply may be going down..i would cont to pump..if he/she does not soften the breast after a feeding...this is a age thing...he's learning about the world around him...keep up the good job..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts