Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has almost doubled since we started CDing.

Is this normal? We wash every other day--cold soak/prewash and a hot wash w/two cold rinses.

I would still CD, of course, even if it didn't save us TONS of money, but I'm pretty bummed that our water bill is so high.

ETA: I'm also confused because our electric bill hasn't gone up at all.
:

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
That stinks mama!! Could there be any other explaination? Watering the grass, new dishwasher, more showers, more relatives visiting, LOL? Would it be possible for you to get a low water-using washer (i.e. Maytag Neptune or similar)?
Amy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hmmmmm.... water is cheap. I would look for another reason. Especially since your electric bill hasn't come up.
:

When our water bill doubled, it was because of a leak out in the yard. They had to dig up half our back yard to replace some pipes!

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
You need to call your water company and see how they do billing. If they bill per 1000 gallons, how much and if they estimate usage or read meters every month. See if you can eliminate the second rinse without problems. Look into placing some filled and capped soda bottles or something into your toilet tank if it is older. Google the term water conservation to see if there are any other ways you can cut down on water usage. It does not seem that your water bill should increase so much without a change in your electric.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mamas!! I knew something was wrong. Two months ago we watered the lawn some so I attributed the higher bill to that, but I cannot think of anything we did this month that would cause it to be so high. We never watered the lawn--not once.

I wonder if there's a leak somewhere. I'll talk to DH and see if he has any ideas. Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
One thing to check is if your toilet has a leak ( we did, $1400 later..) anyhoo, put some blue dye (or any other color) in the tank and leave it there. (dont use or flush toilet). If the color is in the bowl, you have a leak! The good news, its pretty easy and cheap to fix. Go to your library and take out a plumbing book. You'd be surprised how easy a tank is to fix!
Good luck and keep on cd'ing

·
Registered
946 Posts
We had blue hydrenia bushes in our front yard and one year just one bush grew pink flowers for some reason. Still no clue until my parents got the water bill and it was SKY HIGH. The pipe in the front lawn had busted and something about the copper piping or whatever is what caused the pink bush. they could have saved a lot of money if they knew that and caught the leak 6 months earlier.

Honestly though, that is a lot of water to be using so if it is doubling from $10 to $20 then maybe you are just jumping into the next 1000 gallon bracket maybe. if it is doubling big time then there might be another problem.

just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I second the leaky toilet idea. These can make your bill double in no time. I have been CD for 7 weeks now. In the beginning I had to wash everyday! Still my bill didn't double. I think it is up about $2 more per month.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again, thanks!

We are in CA and water is really expensive here. I'm talking a jump from $50 to $100. IMO, that's significant!! I talked to DH and he thinks one of the toilets may be leaky so that might be some of it right there. Also he said something about how we're billed based on the highest amount of water usage in a three month period, so it could be that we used a ton of water two months ago watering the lawn or something, and that's being used as our base.

Can I just say how much this stinks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Our water and electricity bill went up significantly when I started cd'ing. I hadn't expected it to go up as much as it did..but sure enough..it did. It didn't double but both went up about $25 per month. Aw well.... Maybe I could not use so many rinse cycles?!

·
Registered
338 Posts
In our city they give you a discounted rate if you use less then a certain amount of water per 3 months. If you use more than that then your rate goes up a lot. We were right under the amount before we remodeled our kitchen (ie added a dishwasher) and started CD'ing (ie baby was born).

We haven't gotten our water bill yet.... yikes!

Oh, and our electricity didn't go up that much either.

·
Registered
694 Posts
EWwwww. I hate paying bills. Our water bill only went up $2. Yeah. One time a few years ago, my MIL told DH that our oak tree in the backyard was going to die if he didn't water it. I said it wouldn't. Did he listen to me? Nooooo. He watered that sucker for three straight days. Guess how much our water bill was that month? Yep, 3 times what it normally is!!!!
I was so mad. I told him just to let that stupid ol' tree die next time.
Well, what do ya know, here it is, several years later and it's still alive. Anyway, that was an off-topic rant to say that my bill only went up $2.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TracyMom2Three
Aw well.... Maybe I could not use so many rinse cycles?!
I am AMAZED at how some of you wash your diapers!!! I have two butts in diapers and I wash every three days full load on hot water and depending on how many soiled diapers there were then I will do an extra rinse with vinegar. Once a month I will do a double wash. Thats it! Maybe I am not as sensitive to smell? But on the same note I dont have a lot of AIO, most my stuff is pocket diapers and flat folds. I have fitteds and such too but the thickest anything is one lonely honeboy home. And that puppy doesnt stink.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Here is another idea to check.

Our meter is in our house so water is estimated and then they occasionally come to check the meter, like once or twice a year. If it is way higher then they estimated all year then we get a few really high catch up bills.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Aherne
I am AMAZED at how some of you wash your diapers!!! I have two butts in diapers and I wash every three days full load on hot water and depending on how many soiled diapers there were then I will do an extra rinse with vinegar.
I wish I could wash less often (for water conservation). My DD goes through a lot of dipes per day, so even though the dipes are mostly CPFs, I must wash every other day or there isn't much room left in the 54 qt pail (and usually some more dipes in a small pail).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.