Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Zingy as in sour? If so, you can drain off the whey and that will take some of the sour away. Just line a strainer with a paper towel or cheese cloth (or a coffee filter) and let it drain in the fridge over a bowl for several hours.<br><br>
Also, adding some vanilla extract cuts the sourness for me.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Draining it helped a lot, but is there a way I could make it less sour in the first place? It isn't sourness, exactly, but the animal edge of the raw milk, I think. I am going to try using first day milk, instead of waiting a couple of days, and using a new starter. How long does home-made yogurt keep made from raw milk? Do you add vanilla after you make it, or during the heat process?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
how long are you leaving it to set - mine sets in 4 hours and is extremeley mild. When it takes longer, it becomes more sour.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
The more starter you put in, the tangier it will be. The longer you let it ferment, the thicker it will be. I usually add about 1/2 c of starter and it comes out super tangy. This last batch though I only added maybe 2 Tbs of starter and it's super mild. I always ferment mine 24 hours though, to get a super thick yogurt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts