Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started making my own yogurt a couple of months ago after being inspired by all of the posts about it here on this board. I bought a yogurt maker and was amazed by how easy it is!

Here's the problem: the first few batches I made were very thick, creamy and almost custard-like with a very smooth taste. It was absolutely perfect.

However, the last five or six times I've made yogurt it has been very thin and runny. The taste isn't the same either...I can't explain it very well, but it is just kinda lacking in something. For the life of me I can't figure out what I am doing differently- as far as I can tell I haven't changed a single thing about the process. I'm even using the same commercial yogurt (Brown Cow) as a starter each time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Is it possible that your milk is too warm when you add the starter? I read that adding starter when the milk is too warm will prevent proper setting. I had that problem the first time I made it. I use a pan on the stove rather than a yogurt maker, so I don't know how the makers work, but I've found that I need to give mine a few extra minutes to cool when the air temp in the kitchen is warmer (as it is in the summer unless you crank the air conditioning.
)

HTH!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.