Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help finding an alternative to mylicon. I don't use it often, maybe 2 or 3 times a week, but she likes it and takes it well, which is why I use it. I have tried all kinds of gripe water, but trying to get two TEASPOONS into her is impossible. She hates it and ends up fighting me on it, which results in coughing and choking. The .3ml of the mylicon is just so easy, so alas, we use it.

I've tried using less gripe water and it doesn't work. I've also tried making my own chamomile tea and steeping some fenel seeds in it. That doesn't work either.

Is mylicon a few time a week really that bad?

·
Registered
341 Posts
the newer research studies on mylicon show that it is no more effective than a placebo...I really don't think it does anything, and personally I wouldn't give my baby a substance full of chemicals that doesn't even help. JMHO.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbmill2 View Post
the newer research studies on mylicon show that it is no more effective than a placebo...I really don't think it does anything, and personally I wouldn't give my baby a substance full of chemicals that doesn't even help. JMHO.
Hmmm... it works pretty well for us. Way better then gripe water. Do you have a copy of that study?

I also don't like giving my baby something that has chemicals in it, and I certainly wouldn't continue to do it if it didn't work, but since it does I'm trying to find an alternative so I don't have to use it... hence this thread. Do you have a suggestion for an alternative?

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
I found it never really did much for my gassy boy. What DOES work the best for us is Cocyntal by Boiron.

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/306969045091.html

Awesome stuff! The Hyland's Colic tabs work too...
I got the cocyntal ONCE at our local Whole Foods and haven't been able to get it since!
: The last time I was there I asked and they told me they've ordered it and are waiting for it, but I still never see it.

We have a new organic/natural market that just opened up, so maybe I'll check there for it, otherwise I'll get it online. Thanx for reminding me of that sruff, I did like it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Metcalf TJ, Irons TG, Sher LD, Young PC. Simethicone in the treatment of infant colic: A randomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial; Pediatrics 1994; 94:29-34

This study shows that in colicky babies no difference in gasiness occurs following mylicon (brand name simethicone). I'm sure other studies show the same thing...i just don't have time to pubmed it right now. If it works for you use it, the research doesn't support it though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sorry to say it, but it's working for us too... We didn't buy any mylicon for when she was born b/c of the study mentioned above - I mean, why on earth would I pay $7 for chemicals that don't work?!?

She's never been a fussy baby, but on Sunday, when she wouldn't settle down at all for hours on end... I went to the store for Mylicon. After getting one dose, she burped and farted (A LOT) and was MUCH happier. I think she's getting gassy now that she's mouthing more items (no bottles or pacis, so she's not had too much of a chance to get air in before now).

My guess is that in the study, it didn't work substantially on colicky babies b/c colic has many causes, and gas may not be the most prevalent cause. However, if your baby is truly unhappy with gas, it seems to work really well for us.

Watching this thread for other solutions that work well...

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I know simethicone worked on me while I was pregnant (the adult version that is
)

With that said, we use Little Remedies' version. Mylicon is much more expensive for the same thing, and Little Remedies had much less junk in it...

·
Registered
581 Posts
The adult version works for me, too. I used it a few times when I was pregnant and having horrible gas pains. (Gotta feel bad for the little babes when you know how painful it can get for an adult!) But I tried it a few times on DS and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm not sure...it's really hard to figure out if it worked, because obviously he can't tell me
I don't think it did much, though. The only thing that's ever helped is bicycling his legs and raising them to his tummy...which is very unhelpful at 2 a.m. when I don't want to wake him but he really needs to get that gas out
:

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Mylicon worked for our baby (gripe water was useless) and every doc I've talked to says it's not absorbed into the stytem. And the adult version worked for me too, btw.

I think people are just assuming that medicine = bad.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I think people are just assuming that medicine = bad.
What I have a problem with (for starters) is that people have this crazy idea that you can take a pill and POOF! You're sickness, disease, etc is gone. Well, I'm sorry but you need to be addressing the root of the problem because all drugs will do is supress your symptoms. Maybe you should be asking, "Why do I (or, my child) have gas?" And find the root of the problem and get rid of it. Chances are, it's something you're (or you child) is eating. Next, have you looked at the ingredients in mylicon??

Carboxymethylcellulose sodium, citric acid, D&C red 22, D&C red 28, flavors, maltitol, microcrystalline cellulose, purified water, sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, xanthan gum.

Chemicals and additives. Not something I'd put into my body, let alone my childs.

·
Registered
760 Posts
we rarely use it but it worked for us-gripe water didn't work for him at all. I always felt bad giving it to him because it had so much crap in it-but after the gas I had when I was pg it seemed like torture to not give him something.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts