Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help finding an alternative to mylicon. I don't use it often, maybe 2 or 3 times a week, but she likes it and takes it well, which is why I use it. I have tried all kinds of gripe water, but trying to get two TEASPOONS into her is impossible. She hates it and ends up fighting me on it, which results in coughing and choking. The .3ml of the mylicon is just so easy, so alas, we use it.

I've tried using less gripe water and it doesn't work. I've also tried making my own chamomile tea and steeping some fenel seeds in it. That doesn't work either.

Is mylicon a few time a week really that bad?

· Registered
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbmill2 View Post
the newer research studies on mylicon show that it is no more effective than a placebo...I really don't think it does anything, and personally I wouldn't give my baby a substance full of chemicals that doesn't even help. JMHO.
Hmmm... it works pretty well for us. Way better then gripe water. Do you have a copy of that study?

I also don't like giving my baby something that has chemicals in it, and I certainly wouldn't continue to do it if it didn't work, but since it does I'm trying to find an alternative so I don't have to use it... hence this thread. Do you have a suggestion for an alternative?

· Registered
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
I found it never really did much for my gassy boy. What DOES work the best for us is Cocyntal by Boiron.

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/306969045091.html

Awesome stuff! The Hyland's Colic tabs work too...
I got the cocyntal ONCE at our local Whole Foods and haven't been able to get it since!
: The last time I was there I asked and they told me they've ordered it and are waiting for it, but I still never see it.

We have a new organic/natural market that just opened up, so maybe I'll check there for it, otherwise I'll get it online. Thanx for reminding me of that sruff, I did like it.

· Registered
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EcoMama7 View Post
What I have a problem with (for starters) is that people have this crazy idea that you can take a pill and POOF! You're sickness, disease, etc is gone. Well, I'm sorry but you need to be addressing the root of the problem because all drugs will do is supress your symptoms. Maybe you should be asking, "Why do I (or, my child) have gas?" And find the root of the problem and get rid of it. Chances are, it's something you're (or you child) is eating.
(I have family in from out of town, so I apologize for the late response.)

Anyway, no need to be sorry, I totally agree with you. HOWEVER, when I have an ailment even though my ultimate goal is to find the cause and treat that, that doesn't mean I won't benefit from treating the symptoms in some cases (and I'm not talking about tylenol or sudafed, but other alternatives). When life's necessities like eating, drinking and sleeping are compromised due to illness, I do think it is sometimes appropriate to treat the symptoms. Being exhausted or dehydrated because you are too miserable to drink or sleep is no fun for me or my baby.

Having said all that, I don't like using mylicon for all the above mentioned reasons, but it does work so I'd like to find an alternative for when we do have to treat some gassiness. DD is generally Ok with most of what I eat, with the exception of some chili I made a few weeks ago, and then all the rich food I ate around the thanks giving (I know, my bad
).

I have received some really good suggestions in the past for helping with gassiness, like bicycling the legs and massage, which work great as well. I'm going to look really hard for cocyntal again. Does anyone have a link to purchase it online?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.