Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've had this on my blog, but am finally getting it posted here... these events took place from wednesday may 17 - saturday may 20, 2006

things started on wednesday morning, light contractions every 7 minutes or so, but not painful. nothing really changed or intensified until about 11 that night. Then came my first mistake. i walked almost all night long, not pausing during contractions, trying to stay comfortable. (i should have stayed put during contractions, which is something nobody really told me) (my husband would probably say my first mistake was calling my mother to come out that night, especially since she ended up sick before it was all over)

my next mistake was not eating. i remember now that i should have been eating throughout the whole time, but anytime i thought about food i got nauseous. (even when they started making me eat i never did get sick though, not once
)i did however keep pretty thoroughly hydrated, and i was able to rest between contractions on thursday night.

i don't remember much of the specifics of thursday and friday, besides being between the pool, the bed, and the bathroom quite a bit. that and my cat would lie next to me on the bed and let me pet her to keep relaxed during contractions. the other part i remember is just wanting it to end. if there was one thing i said more than anything else it had to be, "it hurts!"

i know my friend joy came over thursday and was here til friday afternoon. she was a fantastic help, and was wonderful for confidence and relaxation. probly the closest thing i had to a doula.

I guess thursday my mom and DH called a couple of midwives that were either unavailable or not taking clients when we were looking for them and got some tips and the name of someone who might be available. they tried to call the suggested midwife friday morning but she didn't call back til that evening. by that time i was getting very discouraged, and just praying that something would happen soon and i wouldn't have to end up at the hospital. my glimmer of hope there was that although i'd been having contractions since wednesday my water still hadn't broken.

when she called back we asked her to come out, so she and another slightly more experienced midwife came out around 8pm friday night. they checked me and said i was pretty much right there, just had a little lip of cervix that need to open up. so they got me into some squats (which i hated), and standing (which i hated less), and onto the birth ball (which was excruciating, but all of them helped get her down where she oughta be) after the birth ball i went back to the pool, where i leaned over the edge on my knees, i think it was around 10ish (i'm just guessing) my MIL made spaghetti for the midwives and DH. (i really thought the smell of food was gonna make me hurl at that point) and eventually there hanging over the edge of the pool, basically in an all fours posotion my water finally ended up breaking (with no meconium, yay!).
after that it was probly an hour max before Nadia arrived @ 12:34 am, with probly 45 minutes or so of actual pushing. i didn't tear at all, but i had a couple of skid marks. i birthed the placenta (whole, none retained) after only a few minutes, when i stood up to get out of the pool. the placenta is now in my freezer, awaiting either burial or to be given to our bradley instuctor for teaching purposes.

i think the midwives really helped the most to boost my confidence, since i was starting to feel so discouraged that i had been in labor so long and still no baby! so even though i was hoping for UC, i'm SOO glad they came out.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Way to marathon birth. That is a lot of moving from place to place. You really worked that baby out! Congratulations ! Enjoy the little moments of peace and calm! Happy Birthday!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.