Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this may be a little bit silly. But. I figure here is the best place to ask.

I am a very chronic nail biter. My nails NEVER have any bit of white growth on them (as in nail that isn't connected to the finger). I am constantly picking and biting my nails! I know it's bad habit and I have tried many different remedies to stop over my life but never have managed to kick it. It really doesn't seem like something I will ever stop (though I don't really care about having fingernails).

My concern is how bad is it for my pregnancy (about 5 weeks-ish now) to bite my nails? Did anyone else bite their nails during pregnancy? This is my first pregnancy so I'm rather new to everything! Advice wanted!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
It shouldn't have any effect on your pregnancy unless you got an infection from doing it somehow.

Supposedly one of the nail biting remedies is putting something nasty tasting on your nails. I'd make sure whatever it was was non-toxic first though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Until a couple years ago I was constantly biting my nails. I don't think nail biting has any ramifications on pregnancy, except if you put anything on your nails, although the risk is still very low.
I stopped biting when I started accidentally scratching my gums when my finger would slip and I would hurt my teeth if my teeth slipped on my nails. I was afraid I would chip a tooth, or knock it out entirely. I've bitten my nails so short they would sometimes hurt for a couple days. I really wanted to start growing my nails and start doing some nail art. I bought short fake nails quite a bit for a while. I couldn't bite my nails with those caps on and my natural nail would grow underneath. The problem was that the nail glue does havoc temporarily. I bought a nail buffer and started collecting nail polish. I can't stand biting my nails with nail polish on and I don't like chipped polish.
It took about a week for my nails to be long enough to shape. I've had some fall backs. I thought it was going to be super hard and tempting to bite. I realized the reason I bit them was because they would get jagged and peel. I started getting used to filing my nails. I trim them with nail clippers if they break, but I just file them mostly and buff them to keep them smooth. I was into biting my cuticles, too. I ditched that habit last when I realized that fancy nails look best when the whole hand is maintain. I bought Sally Hansen Cuticle/Rehab and I love it. The Cuticle Eraser is just a wax and it doesn't rub in or go away very easily. If you want to go the natural route, I've been hearing that coconut oil is a wonder on nails and pretty much anything.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Until a couple years ago I was constantly biting my nails. I don't think nail biting has any ramifications on pregnancy, except if you put anything on your nails, although the risk is still very low.
I stopped biting when I started accidentally scratching my gums when my finger would slip and I would hurt my teeth if my teeth slipped on my nails. I was afraid I would chip a tooth, or knock it out entirely. I've bitten my nails so short they would sometimes hurt for a couple days. I really wanted to start growing my nails and start doing some nail art. I bought short fake nails quite a bit for a while. I couldn't bite my nails with those caps on and my natural nail would grow underneath. The problem was that the nail glue does havoc temporarily. I bought a nail buffer and started collecting nail polish. I can't stand biting my nails with nail polish on and I don't like chipped polish.
It took about a week for my nails to be long enough to shape. I've had some fall backs. I thought it was going to be super hard and tempting to bite. I realized the reason I bit them was because they would get jagged and peel. I started getting used to filing my nails. I trim them with nail clippers if they break, but I just file them mostly and buff them to keep them smooth. I was into biting my cuticles, too. I ditched that habit last when I realized that fancy nails look best when the whole hand is maintain. I bought Sally Hansen Cuticle/Rehab and I love it. The Cuticle Eraser is just a wax and it doesn't rub in or go away very easily. If you want to go the natural route, I've been hearing that coconut oil is a wonder on nails and pretty much anything.
Thank you for the advice! :) I actually have chipped my front, bottom, tooth due to biting my nails. I find myself unable to stop! I tried fake nails and they just drive me MORE insane, like feeling them on my nails makes me pick at them until I peel them off and once one comes off then it's like well now I have to take all of them off so not to look strange. They also slow my typing speed down significantly (I type with my fingertips). I've tried putting gross tasting things on my nails, even hot sauce, to stop but what I end up doing is picking the nail and peeling it off instead. I also pick and bite at my cuticles. I don't usually get them so short so that they hurt or bleed, but I definitely keep them right before that point. I even tried wearing gloves and bandaids to try and stop myself but I just end up picking the bandaid off or getting annoyed with the gloves. Basically, I just don't think I'm able to stop this habit (even though I know how bad that sounds, I'm just being honest). But I also don't want to put the fetus in any danger!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thank you for the advice! :) I actually have chipped my front, bottom, tooth due to biting my nails. I find myself unable to stop! I tried fake nails and they just drive me MORE insane, like feeling them on my nails makes me pick at them until I peel them off and once one comes off then it's like well now I have to take all of them off so not to look strange. They also slow my typing speed down significantly (I type with my fingertips). I've tried putting gross tasting things on my nails, even hot sauce, to stop but what I end up doing is picking the nail and peeling it off instead. I also pick and bite at my cuticles. I don't usually get them so short so that they hurt or bleed, but I definitely keep them right before that point. I even tried wearing gloves and bandaids to try and stop myself but I just end up picking the bandaid off or getting annoyed with the gloves. Basically, I just don't think I'm able to stop this habit (even though I know how bad that sounds, I'm just being honest). But I also don't want to put the fetus in any danger!
I understand completely. But I don't think your unborn is in any danger. It's actually the first time I've heard of that as a pregnancy concern. I thought I would never be able to not bite my nails. I still do from time to time. Once a nail biter, always a nail biter. I think you have to motivate yourself to find a reason not to. For me, it's nail art and a desire to have natural but sophisticated nails. I thought to myself that I can't keep buying fake nails as they do not stay on long and I can't scratch an itch as well, I can't afford to go to a nail salon and I don't want to risk getting an infection and apparently it's painful to get gels or acrylics, and I'm concerned about my dental care. I started really working on my nails and keeping them smooth. You're not supposed to wear nail polish when you're pregnant and I advise not to have long nails when caring for a baby when you're not used to it as you can jab your baby and natural long nails are sharper and harder than fake ones. So, I wouldn't worry about it for the time being. One thing I just learned recently is that nail biting can start an issue with pinworms. Ew.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
As several have mentioned there shouldn't be a risk to baby. It's all about personal preference.

I have had good luck with the nail salon acrylics in the past. I couldn't break them... let alone bite them. And in my experience any kind of method to remove them is excruciating. If you can afford it, find a good nail salon. You might have to ship around though. I only ever found 1 in my experience that did it right. In fact the lady was so good that my nails looked natural. I can't afford such things anymore, but it was nice while I had the money for it. I have super thin nails naturally. So my nails break easy.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Try filing them down instead. Only suggesting that because unless you're also washing your hands before you chew your nails, chewing on your nails that much is putting everything you've touched into you. And what with the suppressed immune system of pregnancy that's not going to be as fine as it is normally.

Plus, filing doesn't make ragged edges that catch on stuff. :grin:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't eat the nail or even little bits, I always spit it out. I know, totally gross! I was thinking about getting my nails done tomorrow and seeing how that works out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts