Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My almost three year old has started biting his nails. It has been going on for about a month and seems somewhat to have coincided with his weaning. It was a very gentle weaning process (he was definitely leading the way) and very gradual. We celebrated with a Weaning Party and he never asked for meme again. He seemed content. I have no idea if the two are related but I am concerned he is feeling some anxiety about something and I want to help him. I've tried asking him, but he doesn't seem to get it. Even before he was weaned he would become very distracted by hang nails and chew on them. The nail biting seems to be an extension of that.<br><br>
How can I get him to stop? What else should I be doing to ease his little mind?

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Maybe he just likes to bite his nails? Some people bite well into adulthood and it doesn't always mean they have emotional problems. Some people pick zits, some fiddle with their hair, some are always cracking their gum...<br><br>
I wouldn't worry about it at all unless he is biting around the skin in such a way that it's causing infection or pain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts