Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, we use coverless diapers around the house with my 4 month old and try to give him opportunities to use the potty whenever he gives off signs, or the timing seems right. I'll lay him on a prefold if he's playing on the floor. He's gotten really squirmy lately and snapping the fitteds is getting trickier. When we're out of the house, I use fitteds with stay-dry inners and covers.

Anyway, I'm not really gung-ho about the nakey-bum approach in general, but since my current approach isn't working as well these days, I'm wondering how big a difference it made for others in their pee-catching success to go nakey-bum or use something in between like trainers or undies. Can a 4 month old tell that he's not supposed to pee in underwear? I know people say that using underwear helps older kids potty learn but does it help with little ones too? Or do I need to go nakey-bum?

·
Registered
485 Posts
my girl is 4 months old and we've only been practicing for a short while but i can already see the huge difference between days i use diapers and days where she is mostly naked. on days when she is mostly naked laying around on a prefold or me carrying her around with a prefold under her bum i catch almost all the pees and poops. On days when i have a diaper on her for some reason i don't catch them. i really can't figure out why just yet- but i try to keep her naked as much as possible. when she's at home she's naked and wherever i put her i just put a prefold underneath her incase i miss something.
I'm still trying to figure out what to do about public and other people's houses since i guess she just can't go around in her birthday suit 24/7- but for now i can see that naked bum works much better. Also when winter comes obviously she can't might not be able to be naked as often. i'll be curious to read other people's approaches!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I don't really have many answers, but if diapering is what you're most comfortable with I think you can make that work. Do you ever just expect your DS to just go in a diaper ever?? Or are you very adament about offering the potty ALL the time??

One mama who was ECing an infant and had a 5 yr old said that she thinks of it as though she has 2 5yr olds. She'd never expect a 5yr old to 'just go' so she can't think like that for her baby either. I think consistency is key. If he needs to pee driving down the highway- we pull over! or at least get off on the next exit even though he has a prefold under him.

However, I think it's easier to miss cues with diapers on for some reason, and that you're likely to end up with a few more damp diapers than you are misses if you go diaper free. Diapering didn't work for us personally, but everyone needs to find what they are comfortable with and what works for them. DS does just as well wearing pants (I never bothered buying little trainers) IF he's being worn. However, his penis is a HUGE giveaway that he needs to pee- one of my primary signs, which is why I think diapereing didn't work for us since I couldn't easily see it and why nakey bum is working so well for us. It gets considerably fuller when he needs to pee. Have you ever tried nakey-bum around the house and kept an eye on his penis?? For us, it really does tell me a lot and is a huge part of our nakey bum success.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.