Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am of Norwegian background and would love to name this baby a traditional Norwegian name. Our number one choice for a girl is Solveig, which is very common in Norway. My question to you: is it too out there? How would you pronounce it seeing it for the first time?

Our boy name is Finn, which I love, but I'm concerned it's getting a bit too popular. Any thoughts?

Amanda

·
Registered
263 Posts
I personally like the name, and I'm one of the more traditional type people. I'm not much into trendy names, but I don't venture too far past the "regular" names if you know what I mean. (We like Zane or Aaron for boy, and Leigh or Gage for a girl).
As a teacher, I would think it was really cool to have a girl in my class named Solveig. I think it is very representative of your Norwegian background, and find it to be a very nice name.
As far as pronunciation...I would say, to put it as phonetically as possible, "Soul-Vig". (edited to add, that's a hard g...as in goat, not giraffe.)
How is it pronounced??

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
its very unique! i love your boy name, but i'm unsure of the girl name. however, if its what you like then go for it! i do love that its different though
I'm all for breaking out of the ordinary!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Well, Finn is our boy name too lol... so I guess maybe popularity could be an issue. I however have only met one child IRL named Finn.

·
Banned
943 Posts
I'm personally more in favor of "easy," names. But if you guys love it then go for it! Maybe pick a simple middle name so that if she ever wants to, she can go by that.

I don't think Finn is getting too popular, I only know one kid with that name and his actual name is Finnegan. I would prounce your girl's name sol-veg.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is pronounced "SOUL vay." It can also be spelled Solvei, but Solveig is really the traditional spelling. We are planning on using a family name for the middle name, simple and common, Rachel, Helen, or Marie.

mamablueberry: What middle name are you planning on for your Finn? We are probably going to use Andrew, after DH's brother. Have you ever thought of Finn as a girl's name? I like it, but DH thinks it's too masculine.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kkeake View Post
It is pronounced "SOUL vay." It can also be spelled Solvei, but Solveig is really the traditional spelling. We are planning on using a family name for the middle name, simple and common, Rachel, Helen, or Marie.

mamablueberry: What middle name are you planning on for your Finn? We are probably going to use Andrew, after DH's brother. Have you ever thought of Finn as a girl's name? I like it, but DH thinks it's too masculine.
I think Solveig is a beautiful name. And personally (after sounding it out with the choices for middle name) I think Marie sounds best with it. I'm big on the names flowing together and what the names mean and how they connect to each other that way too.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kkeake View Post

I think your girls name sounds beautiful.
For a boy we were thinking Finnley Solomon, and then using Finn as a nickname. I have heard Finnley used as a girl name.
We have always liked the name Finn for a boy. I am a little concerned about using the name Finn because my brother and law and his ex-girlfriend had a baby boy who passed shortly after his birth and his name was Quinn. I don't know if the rhyming name would bother him, or maybe I am being paranoid. So we though by using the name Finnley we could still have our Finn, without having it be an issue. I don't know. I really want to use the name but I don't want it to hurt feelings.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
I think they're both really lovely. Solveig is gorgeous. I think I like the spelling without the "g" better, just because people will pronounce it more accurately, but either is nice. Finn's a good name too. It's getting more popular, but baby name voyager had it as the 456th most popular boy name of 2006, so it's not like Jennifer circa 1979 or anything.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your comments - I have to say not too many people have been terribly positive about our choices so far. I really love the name Annabel and made the mistake of telling my mother, who immediately responded "That's a cow!" She thinks Solveig is too weird and said, well she can always go by her middle name.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Hi, my husband is a Dane and I think your name choices are wonderful - I know a couple Solveigs and one Finn, but not too many (you see thousands of Emmas and Magnus though...)

We too wanted a traditional Danish name for our 4th, but it had to be something not too common anymore, so we went with Ib with the middle name Nicolai. I have no idea what to call baby #5 though... We usually only pick a name after the baby is born.

ETA - I have lerned not to tell people what the baby will be called until AFTER the name is given. This way they have no choice but to learn to like the name

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
I like Solveig and Finn! We are considering Lars if we have a boy - I have some swedish and norwegian ancestry that I am feeling connected with lately.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
great names. I just love Finn and Solveig would be great with a common middle name. (that way she can choose later on)
I have a few names too I'd love to get feedback on. I love the name Chloe for a girl and Aspen for a boy. My husband is suck on the name Memphis for a girl. And I also had a cousin die a few years ago named Hannah so that one is also in the mix. What do you all think and what are your top choices?

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I like both the names, but I really like Finn. I've made a pitch for it both times and DH has shot it down. I think it's masculine and different. I would not have known how to pronounce Solveig, but I like it.

Personally, I keep my mouth shut to family members/friends about names who are going to say something negative unless I really want to know what they think.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by christinespurlock View Post
great names. I just love Finn and Solveig would be great with a common middle name. (that way she can choose later on)
I have a few names too I'd love to get feedback on. I love the name Chloe for a girl and Aspen for a boy. My husband is suck on the name Memphis for a girl. And I also had a cousin die a few years ago named Hannah so that one is also in the mix. What do you all think and what are your top choices?
I adore the name Hannah, I think it is really feminine and beautiful and has withstood the test of time. I also like Chloe a lot, it's a very cute name. Memphis would not be a name I would like for myself.

For our choices we are tentatively thinking Leah for a girl or Lane for a boy, but we didn't decide until the last minute with our DD and probably won't again this time either. It is still very up in the air - I feel like it's SO far away!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I think you should name your daughter Solveig regardless of whether other people can pronounce it, if that's the name you like.

My husband is from India, and our daughter's name is Sanjana---which definitely gets mispronounced. When people see it spelled, they tend to put the accent on the "Jan" which is NOT the way it's supposed to be pronounced (the emphasis is instead on the first syllable, the "San," and the "jana" just rolls of the tongue after). But I just correct people. And when Sanjana is old enough, I'm sure she'll have no problem telling people how to pronounce her name either!

In the end, we really liked the name, and that's that!

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beppie View Post
I think you should name your daughter Solveig regardless of whether other people can pronounce it, if that's the name you like.
I think that's a good point. If you think about it, most of the people you interact with on a regular basis are people you know -- you tell them once or maybe twice how to pronounce your name & they then say it correctly.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by f&p'smama View Post
I think that's a good point. If you think about it, most of the people you interact with on a regular basis are people you know -- you tell them once or maybe twice how to pronounce your name & they then say it correctly.
This is exactly what I think. My kid's have weird names that no one can read, but it's only doctor's offices over the phone that ever just read & try to say them. Everyone else, we just say our kid's name once or twice & they've got it down. It's really not a problem.
Most people are introduced to our kids IRL, so they hear their names. I guess the only "problem" comes in when they try to SPELL them on gifts & cards, etc.

BTW, I LOVE the name Solveig. I love it so much that I want to add it to my list of favorite names, but I won't be able to use it if you do. LOL

I'm going through a Scottish name addiction lately. I like everything with "Lach" in it. Lachlan, Lachleif, Tyrlach, Lachailon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fwiw, I love Solveig - I love all names that have significance and meaning. And I think it sounds pretty when said aloud too. Finn was on our short list for a boy, but we went with something different.

Does anyone know the name book that has sibling recommendations for names. Sort of like the amazon books "if you liked this title, you might also enjoy . . ." There was a post somewhere about it and I found that I really did like the suggestions the book gave. Now, I can't remember where I read about it or what the name of the book was!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.