Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a second Level 2 ultrasound this week, and this time they were positive it was a girl.

But DH and I are stumped for names. We are a culturally Jewish family (i.e., we are not at all religious) and like Jewish origin names. But we are having difficulty coming up with a third Jewish girls name that we both like.

We both like Deborah, but neither of us like the nicknames Deb or Debbie, so I am reluctant to use it. I prefer names that can't be shortened (other DDs' names are Sarah and Leah). My name is Elizabeth and people felt like they could call me anything they pleased, from Bessie to Lizzie and I hated that.

Unfortunately, we have a lot of restrictions LOL! We can't use:

names starting with S, L or G (personal issues)
Rebecca, Rachel, Naomi, Abigail, or Ruth

Ideas?

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Aviva
Evelyn
Bernadine
Aliza
Elaine
Amelia
Adah
Delilah
Eleora
Else

Forgive me if some of these are not actually Jewish names, they are just ones I found myself looking for babynames that said they were of Jewish or hebrew origin.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I was going to suggest Esther, too =)

As far as nicknames... my son's name is Robert. He's not Rob, Robbie, Bob, or Bobbie... he's Robert. Our immdeiate family (meaning my husband and I and his grandfather, Bob) sometimes call him Bob-Bob... but that's a baby name and NO ONE else is allowed to call him that - just like we wouldn't let anyone else call him "stinka-butt"

I have a friend whose son is Randall... NOT Randy. I think it's just a matter of correcting everyone CONSTANTLY when the baby is little. So if you like Deborah... go for it!

·
Registered
852 Posts
My daughter's hebrew name is Miriam Ranit.....

I love the name Miriam and Ranit means beautiful song.

She was named for a dear friend (Ronnie) who was a singer who passed away the year before she was born....

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, Esther. Well, in some ways its perfect, because that is actually DH's grandmother's name (now deceased). Unfortunately, she was NOT a nice woman!

Aviva is DH's aunt's name so we can't use that.

I like Miriam a lot, but DH is lukewarm about it. And its meaning mkaes me a little hesitant. In various places, its meaning is bitter, sorrow or longed for child. Given that our second DD died, I am a little reluctant to use this name for the meanings alone.

Elaine is my first DD's middle name.

·
Registered
279 Posts
What about Talia?

ITA agreement on correctly folks if they use nicknames you don't want. My oldest does use a nickname, but my sons go by their given names and folks mostly abide by that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
How about Tziporah it means bird in hebrew.

here are some more options
Ronit
Tamara
Liana
Gidalia
Sarah
Lana

Check out www.babycenter.com
You can enter that you are looking for hebrew/jewish names that begin with a certain letter. good luck.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like Zipporah, but DH says its "too Jewish".
:

I also like Talia, but DH is lukewarm. (Anyone sensing a theme here?
)

I guess my experience with the name Elizabeth was that people would still call me whatever they wanted even when corrected. Even in college this would happen. I had a prof who called me Lizzie all semester. I hated him.
:

·
Registered
220 Posts
It IS possible to give a child a name and keep others from shortening it; you just have to pray your child ends up going along with you on that once she gets to school! My mother named my youngest sister Nicole. She's 14 now and is still Nicole--NO ONE calls her Nikki. My mother corrected people endlessly until they got the picture, and Nicole did it too!
But it can be a real pain, so I understand not wanting to have to deal with correcting people. Or maybe find a name with shortened versions that you like as much as the given.

FYI, my dd will have the middle name of Amaris--which babynames.com claims is of Hebrew origin and means "Promised by God." Another name to toss in the hat!

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Plug for my own name...Eden...I love Hebrew names too and I'm not Jweish in anyway!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Eliana is a Fav. jewish name of mine. my DH has nixed it.
I know that it can be shortened, but it is still pretty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts