Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our names thread has long ago slipped off the page so I hope this is ok here.

Anyway, Hadden is a family name for us and we are considering it. I am a little concerned, however, that people will pronounce it like the more popular name, Hayden. Hadden is with a short-a, rhymes with Madden.

Do you think that will pose a problem? Would changing the spelling to Haddon help? Thoughts?

Other contenders are: Chapin, Barrett, Benjamin, Hayes, and Beckett.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I think Hadden/Haddon is a great name. I don't think it will be mispronounced all the time. It just doesn't look like Hayden to me. I like both spellings, but don't see that it makes a difference, but I'm just one mama!

You have a nice list of names already. My faves on your list are Hadden, Benjamin, Hayes and Beckett.

How do you prn Barrett? I guess my only input on that one is people might say it like barrette, that goes in your hair? Maybe if you drop a "t" off, it might make a difference? Barret?

Chapin, wondering how you prn this one also? I first read it as Chopin, the composer, but I'm a little dense anyway.

There's my 2 cents and more!

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback, G-JuiceMama!

Chapin is pronounced Chape-in and Barrett is supposed to be rhyme with merit. I never thought of the barrette issue -- definitely something to think about! I don't like barrette on a boy (or girl, for that matter!
)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
It will probably be mispronunced, but it may be one of those things that you just learn to deal with. People mipronunce my name (Kelsi) and my daughter Eirian's name all of the time. As a kid, I learned to deal with it - only correcting it when it seemed worth the trouble. Basically any unfamiliar name will be mispronunced on occasion.

Good luck! I like Hadden, but also your other names, so I can't weigh in much

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oooh yes, Hadden is a lovely name. I've never heard it. I think some might pronounce it wrong no matter how you spell it. People don't even hear my dd's name correctly. Most of the time they repeat Eve over and over not hearing me say the N until I say it's like Eve but with an N and then often they look puzzled and give up
. Neve Campbell tried the phonetic approach and it didn't work. So dd is Nee-am-uh instead of Nee-uv a lot.

I like all the other names too. Are you thinking of Beckett because you like the writer? I love him!

J

·
Registered
277 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigilteach View Post
People don't even hear my dd's name correctly. Most of the time they repeat Eve over and over not hearing me say the N until I say it's like Eve but with an N and then often they look puzzled and give up
. .... So dd is Nee-am-uh instead of Nee-uv a lot.
Not trying to hi jack- but
Is there a trick to knowing how to pronounce Irish names? I see them a lot lately and I am one of those dense people who would have said *Nee-am-uh* and never would have said Nee-uv.
Smiles

Oh I love Hadden - said it like Madden in my head too

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
i think it's great! but here's the truth- people mispronounce any name! take my Lilith. no one who reads it at Drs offices or whereever have gotten it right. they all say 'hmmm, uh, Li...Li...Lily-th? Lily-ith? Lily Lil ith?' it's LILITH! it's written EXACTLY how it sounds!!! and then Mable. oh my! it's always 'Mah bowl?... Mahb eel?...'

so don't worry too much about it. you could name your baby Jane and have it mispronounced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts