Mothering Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
When my boys were 1 and 3 (and I was clueless and uninformed!), my Ped told me if we didnt get them the chicken pox vaccine they would never be able to go to school in the state of Maryland---so I did it
Little did I know it wouldn't matter since I homeschool now LOL And even if I didn't, they still could have gone.
I know it seems over-the-top, but I really wish I would have sued them for this! I think it's the only way to get them to stop this ridiculous bullying!!!

· Registered
8,569 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
Yes, isn't the total amount of tetanus cases something like only 30 a year in the US, and the majority of people survive? I'm pretty sure that the overall coverage rates for tetanus vaccines is not as high as public officials would like it to be. I think that if tetanus were really that huge of a threat we'd see more cases.

Waaaaaaaaaaay less than 30. Only about one or two per year; sometimes none.

Scratch that; I believe the average is 43 cases per year; deaths are about 0-2 per year.

· Banned
2,558 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
I was told at DD's 2nd and LAST ped Appt. that she would DIE if she didn't get the HIB......not get sick from if exposed to...not maybe die if she gets exposed to...but DIE from not getting the vaccine!!!

How did we all survive before they vaccinated for HiB?!

· Registered
131 Posts
How about "If you don't get this vaccine, your career is over, you'll be courtmarshaled for failure to follow a lawful order." Luckily, I was a medic and this was before they went to the computerized system to track all innoculations, so a buddy of mine and I hooked each other up... with a few flicks of our pens we were both up to date on our vaccines and no one was the wiser.

BTW, I've survived chicken pox and bacterial meningitis (which was caused by the hospital during/after an epidural and subsequent blood patch after a spinal headache).

· Registered
131 Posts
Oh, and I had a 'friend' who professes herself to be a wiccan priestess, her son has ADHD and her daughter has ADD and is dyslexic. When I tried to talk to her about vaccines, she told me "Its against the basic principles of Wicca... by not vaccinating them, I'm potentially causing harm to other peoples children by exposing them... blah blah blah" I was SO THOURALLY disappointed in her answer. She wasn't even willing to be open minded about the issue... I was just wrong and nothing I could say would change her opinion. I am apparently a very bad parent.

Needless to say, we don't speak much anymore.

· Registered
402 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Wiccan who doesn't vax here! I feel that vaccinating my son would be harming HIM.
Same!

Harm none is very tall order to follow, but I think it starts at home. I do my best not to harm my children (including by no longer vaccinating), and I don't drag my children out and about while they are sick to spread their germs (attempting to prevent harm to the community)...something I can't say for other parents who drag their sick children to the grocery to cough on my produce...
:

I have met several on both sides of the issues in the pagan community. Some simply don't analyze it religiously, and others do. Some believe the science is good, others don't. It's fairly typical of the broader community outside of paganism.

· Registered
131 Posts
Thats where I am now... and I agree... why would it be any different in the pagan community than it is in the community at large? lol

I was told by a Chaplain today that "theres no such thing as an exception, there are regulations and those regulations have to be followed regarless of your religious convictions" trying to tell me that I had to get my children vax'd. THANKFULLY he listened when I explained to him that there are exemptions and he's going to look into it for me tomorrow.

· Registered
1,630 Posts
Thanks for bumping this up for me! But to be honest reading this doesn't make me feel very good.........I have absolutely no trust in doctors right now! I'm going to call my Chiro for a good reccommendation for a ped right now.

The piano key post is the best. I wonder if you can also contract HepB from a keyboard too, hmm I should go clean my son's right now, lol.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeniacleBrat View Post
BTW, I've survived chicken pox and bacterial meningitis (which was caused by the hospital during/after an epidural and subsequent blood patch after a spinal headache).
Did you accept antibiotics?

· Registered
8,569 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeniacleBrat View Post
I was told by a Chaplain today that "theres no such thing as an exception, there are regulations and those regulations have to be followed regarless of your religious convictions" trying to tell me that I had to get my children vax'd. THANKFULLY he listened when I explained to him that there are exemptions and he's going to look into it for me tomorrow.
I wonder if Chaplains take the same "dress and salute" course that Drs do

You may need to remind him that your children are civilians

· Registered
1,548 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
If that were the case my daughter would still be here.
:

The only scaremongering I've had is docs trying to talk me into an elective c-section for future pregnancies because my last daughter was stillborn ... cuz, you know, cord prolapse is genetic of course...
:

61 - 75 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.