Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two leafy greens from my csa and I'm not sure what they are. One of them is Arugula (I think), but I'm not sure which one. The other may be Basil.

1. Grows in small bunches, almost like a mini head of lettuce with pointy leaves. Taste is strong, minty, and a little spicy. Is this Basil?

2. Individual leaves, shaped almost like oak leaves, taste is strong, and spicy. Arugula? Or have a mixed them up?

What do I do with these? I also got another bunch of Escarole. We had escarole last week, but I didn't know that's what it was and I made a salad with the leaves = bitter! What should I do with this week's head?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
#2 definitely sounds like arugula. I think it has a strong, almost mustard-like taste. I add a few leaves to a salad, and it adds a nice flavor.

The second might be basil. Basil has pointed leaves which grow out of a stalk. Is that what you have? It's incredibly yummy! Make a pesto with the leaves, garlic, evoo, pine nuts, and parmesan cheese. MMMMM. Many other uses, too (my favorite is an avocado basil pasta salad...if you want the recipe, let me know!).

Kristen

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, they are basil and arugula - thanks!

I'm definitely interested in the avocado basil pasta salad!! (as long as you're willing/have the time to type it out) I have avocados ripe on my counter, and tons of fresh basil. How does one make a pesto, and what is evoo? Thank you for all the help

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Avocado Basil Pasta

2-3 c. wagon wheel pasta (or bowties or other fun shape)
2 med. avocadoes, halved and seeded, coarsely chopped
6 slices bacon, crisp cooked, drained, crumbled
2/3 c. chopped fresh basil
2 T. lemon juice
1 T. olive oil
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 t. black pepper
1/8 t. salt
1/2 c. finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese (I use parmesan)

1. Cook pasta. Drain.
2. In large bowl, combine avocadoes, bacon, basil, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, pepper, and salt. Add hot pasta and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with cheese.

I actually use more cheese, and mix it in with the pasta instead of just sprinkling it. I'm not always a fan of bacon in stuff like this, but I make an exception for this pasta. It really adds alot!

I just eyeball pesto anymore, so I don't remember amounts of ingredients. When I first started making it, I looked up several recipes online to compare, and kind of went from there. It's really not hard to make, especially if you have a food processor!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts