Mothering Forum banner

nanny pay

680 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  mamasaurus 
#1 ·
okay this is a hypothetical question. How much would pay a 'nanny' in this situation:

3 days a week 7:30 am - 3:30 pm
2 year old boy
baby girl

we live in kentucky, a moderately priced area. You can get a typical neighborhood home for $200,000.

nanny would be prob. early 20's, married recently, no kids, some but not graduate from college. will prob be a SAHM when she and her DH are ready for kids of their own.

what hourly rate would pay? or do you pay in a similar situation?

#2 ·
Well, I live in a very different part of the country, so what I pay is probably not relevant. When I was setting the rate for our after-school nanny, I looked at Craig's list in the childcare section. That gave me a good idea of what others were paying and what those who were looking for a job were asking. When I finally placed my own ad, with the salary we could pay, I did find that people responded with requests of up to twice what we listed. Turns out I'm paying at the bottom of the scale, though we got a nanny we really liked anyway.

For what its worth, we pay $12/hr. for our nanny to care for 2 kids (5 and 8) after school (18 hrs/wk), plus milage at the IRS rate, all expenses with the kids, paid holidays and some vacation. We are not providing insurance and we pay "on the books". And our nanny sounds about like who we have, though she has finished college and is going back for teaching credentials.

#7 ·
Here is the International Nanny Association's 2006 Salary Survey for your area:

http://www.nanny.org/images/2006Sala...ges/Slide6.php

Looks like live-in nannies are averaging about $425.00/week and live-out nannies about $600.00/week. That is probably based on about 45 hours/week. You can look at the other pages of the survey to get ideas about benefits, etc.

Pay also depends on experience and education.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.