Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our p/t live-out nanny has worked out well, however, I need to stop working p/t because of financial pressures (my business is costing too much to run and paying the nanny is way too expensive) and I wish to spend more time with the kids. This has led me to the difficult decision that it is time for her to leave our family.

She is leaving to her home country for a month's vacation coming up soon. I want to give her notice with severance. She is depending on this month's income and we would pay that out to her in full. Do I need to give her any additional funds? Is it better to give her the severance and tell her that she is no longer needed or have her work the applicable notice period? It will be a difficult situation because she has become close to our family and the kids enjoy her. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Is this a paid vacation? Then it isn't really severance, is it?

Severence is a payment that does not require the employee to work during it, and therefore it is different than vacation or regular payroll pay.

Paid vacation is usually earned and is considered another benefit, equivalent to salary (usually accrued on a biweekly basis). If she has unused vacation, you may owe her for those days - if she is in the hole, you can subtract the amount from her final paycheck.

Before you say anything, nail down EVERY detail, including:

1. last day of employment
2. vacation pay (if she has unused vacation, etc)
3. severance
4. return of any property (including keys to the house)
5. filing for taxes etc.
6. will you be fighting any unemployment claims? If not, then the cause of unemployment needs to be "lack of work". If you put anything related to performance, she may be ineligible for unemployment, and you may need be clear with her about why you are letting her go.

(just had to let someone go for my company and all of this is still fresh in my mind).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by siobhang View Post
Is this a paid vacation? Then it isn't really severance, is it?

Severence is a payment that does not require the employee to work during it, and therefore it is different than vacation or regular payroll pay.

Paid vacation is usually earned and is considered another benefit, equivalent to salary (usually accrued on a biweekly basis). If she has unused vacation, you may owe her for those days - if she is in the hole, you can subtract the amount from her final paycheck.

Before you say anything, nail down EVERY detail, including:

1. last day of employment
2. vacation pay (if she has unused vacation, etc)
3. severance
4. return of any property (including keys to the house)
5. filing for taxes etc.
6. will you be fighting any unemployment claims? If not, then the cause of unemployment needs to be "lack of work". If you put anything related to performance, she may be ineligible for unemployment, and you may need be clear with her about why you are letting her go.

(just had to let someone go for my company and all of this is still fresh in my mind).
Hi - thanks this is very useful information.
Our nanny has worked for us for around 9 months. She has planned this month long trip for a while and let us know about it in advance. Technically it is not her paid vacation time.
She works 2 days per week. I think we will owe her some vacation pay as well as the severance.
We were planning on dismissing her and paying out the remainder of the month as severance which is 3 weeks. She would hopefully be able to use that time to look for another job while she is still here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
I would give her the option and leave it open ended for babysitting in the future.
Hi - my concern is about the nanny having hard feelings and staying to finish out her term may make her resentful or the kids may have difficulty transitioning.

I am struggling with how to let her know. I feel sick to my stomach about this. I know I will need to be honest about the reasons: financial pressures, my work isn't as fulfilling as I expected. But I am worried about her reaction and her ability to find new work before she departs on her trip. Even though we are only part time we pay her very well.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If you're giving her, in essence, three weeks' severance pay, you're being very generous.

It may not be a pleasant conversation, but I would give her as much notice as possible. If she's planning on being gone for a month, she won't be able to job hunt while she's away. This way she can get things moving before she leaves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.