Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter will be 3 in June and she has decided that she doesn't need to take a nap, and that is not true at all. She is a bear to get along with anyway, but afternoon without a nap, watch out. I am pg and need my rest as well, I tend to get weepy and upset the longer she is up and the craber she gets. Like today she is at a point that she is just not listning to ANYTHING I am saying and when she is doing something she knows she should be doing, she tells me her daddy (who is at work) told her to do it. I have tried everything to get her to take a nap, this just started last week, but for a week now, she hasn't taken a nap. I do books, a dark room, we go to the park first to run off energy, I have tried a movie. I just don't know anymore. Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
hugs mama! I don't have any wonderful ideas but couldn't pass by without offering some support...

Would she be willing to maybe just lay down or do something quiet/on he bed for an hour or two? Perhaps find an audio book and listen to it together in a dark room? Let her know that she doesn't have to fall asleep, but that you'll all be laying down together for a while each day. Maybe it's her way of dealing with the babe-on-the-way and the sense of change? You know, trying to find and control something...and nap time was the "thing" she picked? So by telling her it's okay not to sleep you're giving her that control, but by saying the time will be spent laying down (in a dark/toddler safe room listening to a certain number of songs or a certain number of audio book chapters so you can get some rest too) maybe she'll fall asleep anyway and if not, at least you'll both have had a rest!

Good luck, congrats on the new babe, and I hope some other mamas have some ideas for you!

·
Registered
71 Posts
this may or may not make you feel better- hopefully it will- I have a two year old who doesn't nap and yes she gets craky sometimes, but she goes to bed a lot earlier- at like 8 pm and sleeps till 7 am- when she napped bedtime would be rough- she'd fight it and be up very late... bed time is a joyful experience now. Naps do end at some point- it can be a rough transition (and i'm not pg) life goes go on. And you aren't stuck home with a napping child- you don't have to arrange your day around nap schedule.... but every child is different- best of luck to you- if you can get her to have quiet time that may help- I take my own quiet time sometimes while Bella runs around and plays- I've even rested with her yelling "Wake UP!" around me- I just breathe deeply and meditate for like 15 minutes it helps. Also having low expectations of naptime really helps too...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I read a really cool idea for 3 year olds and nap time at askdrsears.com. He suggested designating a nap area. Like a card board box (filled with blankets) with a whole cut in it like a doggy door or a tent filled with pillows and blankets even a special nook in your home they like to play in can become the nap corner. He suggested letting the tot decide when they are ready to go to there special nap spot. The idea of a cool little nap spot sounds fun to me. Anyway if you think this may work check out this, you have to scroll down once you open it.

linkhttp://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071100.asp#T071117

·
Registered
406 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilliansmom View Post
I read a really cool idea for 3 year olds and nap time at askdrsears.com. He suggested designating a nap area. Like a card board box (filled with blankets) with a whole cut in it like a doggy door or a tent filled with pillows and blankets even a special nook in your home they like to play in can become the nap corner. He suggested letting the tot decide when they are ready to go to there special nap spot. The idea of a cool little nap spot sounds fun to me. Anyway if you think this may work check out this, you have to scroll down once you open it.

linkhttp://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071100.asp#T071117
A nap nook is an awesome idea for that age. I would also recommend the Book "Sleepless In America" by Mary Sheedy Kurnicka. She has AWESOME info and ideas about napping/sleeping.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
When my son was just about 3 and I was pregnant and exhausted I was not above turning the tv on in my bedroom and letting him watch it while I slept next to him. I was desperate at that point.

Later when my son was at that in between time of needing a nap sometimes and not other times I turned it into quiet time. I told him I needed quiet time and he had to be in bed but he could play a quiet toy in bed. He would read, or play with toys or play his leapster. Sometimes he fell asleep, other times he would play up to an hour quietly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My 2 year old doesn't nap anymore and the transition period was very hard. He refused to take a nap, but was cranky in the afternoon and would sometimes fall asleep around 4 PM, which would make bedtime a mess. I agree with Thorey, though, that now it's a lot easier. No naptime fight and since there's no nap, there's no bedtime fight. Win-win. DS goes down for bed between 7 and 7:30 and sleeps until 7 (not straight through, but that's for a different thread). He gets more total sleep now than he did when he was napping.

The transition was really hard, and the thing that worked best for us was to do a 10-15 minute car nap around 1 PM. It was the only way we could get him to fall asleep and the only way to get him to wake back up without being in a bad mood the rest of the afternoon. Kind of contrived, but it worked for him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.