Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13.5 month old son has no trouble falling asleep at night... either in our bed or in his crib (or a combination of the two)... but he won't lie down to take a nap by himself.... and a family bed naptime just isn't realistic for us. He will fall asleep in his swing (which he's almost too heavy for).... or in the car... or sometimes while nursing... but that's it.<br><br>
Help!<br><br>
What has worked for you?<br><br>
Thanks,<br>
Karla

·
Registered
12,302 Posts
I got to the point where I just let him play with his sister in their rooom and he would eventually fall asleep on the floor by himself. I know it sounds weird but it is the only thing that has worked. I then would move him to his crib. Usually once he gets to that crabby too tired point I just put him in there and no more than 10 min later dd is out telling me he is asleep.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
That's what DD's daycare provider does. When she's with me she'll sleep w/ movement or nurse to sleep, that's it.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I am exactly in the same situation! Argh it is so so frustrating. DD (15 mo) sleeps in a crib at night and goes no problem, and sleeps all night (generally, unless she wakes up and asks for water). But she will not, under any circumstances, nap in the crib during the day. I was doing the driving - backpacking - stroller - napping together thing, but I have to admit, I really didn't have the personal energy to do that twice a day. And sometimes I would be walking around the house with her for an hour on my back, and still she wasn't asleep. Or I would lie down with her and it would take her 1/2 an hour to fall asleep, going from boob to boob nursing, and climbing all over me.<br><br>
So I am really at a loss. The No Cry Sleep solution doesn't really work for us.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
My son transitioned to one nap around 11 months and now only naps for an hour a day. So you may try going to only one nap a day. Maybe they're just not tired enough. We really struggle with sleep, both naps and nighttime. Sending you sleep vibes!<br>
-Erin

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Naps have always taken more creativity for us than bedtime because the light keeps DS from wanting to let go into sleep (he's a busy guy when he's awake). At this point he goes down nursing and will sleep in his crib. If I'm not here, though, his caregiver will put him in a sling to block out the light and walk him around until he's asleep. Then she can pull off the sling after laying him in the crib.

·
Registered
492 Posts
We've been having a similar problem. Actually, from about 13 months to 15 months, dd was a great napper. I could just put her down in her crib and she'd snuggle right down and go to sleep. Then one day, bam! She wouldn't nap.<br><br>
Then for a couple of weeks, I started taking her for a drive at naptime. She would usually fall asleep, but I quickly got tired/annoyed with the process and felt like I was catering a little to much. Since then we have continued to just put her in her crib at naptime, and she's there for an hour. Period.<br><br>
She can just play if she wants to, and if she cries I go in and check on her and soothe her, but I don't pick her up. Sometimes she goes to sleep, but more often she doesn't. But I'm a stickler about it, because I think she's old enough to understand the concept of "if i cry and don't go to sleep, then mom comes to get me and i get to stay up and play." And I'm not going down that road!!<br><br>
Mind you, she still goes to sleep fine at bedtime, and she naps great at day care (3 days a week). She also naps great at grandma's house. At both places, she sleeps in a pack-n-play, and the rooms are very dark.<br><br>
At home, her room doesn't have darkened shades (just mini-blinds). So I've been thinking about getting some.<br><br>
Are you able to darken your son's room?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts