Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, our DD is almost 11 weeks now, and is just starting to like to nap on a regular basis. It is still pretty hard sometimes to get her to sleep, however, when she does, she will sometimes not wake up (we have to go wake her).

So my question is, how long is it "ok" to let a bub sleep?

Usually we wake her at 2 hours for some up time, eating, playtime, etc. She is napping about 3 times a day, about 2 hours each. If she wants to sleep, should we re-arrange that to 2 times a day, 3 hours each? Or what?

Just trying to figure out if limiting her nap time is a good thing or not.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I always went by let 'em sleep when they're tired and not when they're not. :LOL If she wants to sleep 3 hours just go with it...my motto is NEVER wake a sleeping baby.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Yeah, I'd agree with what the PP said. When they get older, they start being very crabby if they're awoken before they're ready (like my DS). If you're having trouble with the sleep-all-day, up-all-night thing then I think it's OK to try and gently reverse that cycle, but if she's sleeping well at night, I'd let her nap when she wants, for how long she wants. It's still pretty early to try and get a schedule for naps, and I think really early for just two naps a day. My DS is 9 mo. and still often takes three naps a day!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Unless you are having supply issues or she is awake and ready to party at night, I would let her sleep as long as she wants, as many times as she wants. Every kid is different and you may have been blessed with a sleep loving babe. Oh, and take advantage of it and sleep if you can too, because this may all change...very soon...you never know. That's what keeps this mothering thing so exciting...you NEVER know what is going to happen from one day to the next. Good luck!!!

ANd oh, at around 3 months babes go througha growth spurt where they are awake all day eating for a few days followed by a few days of sleeping AND growing!!!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I could never bring myself to wake up my baby because she rarely naps alone but in The No Cry Sleep Solution the author advices that anything longer than three hours for ababy over four months old will disrupt night time sleep. So I think you would be fine to let your baby stay blissfully asleep and just enjoy it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.