Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the secret to doing this?

Each time I try it, DS ends up waking and won't go back down. Doesn't matter if he's been asleep in the car for 5 minutes or 50 minutes. It drives me crazy. I can't leave him in the garage - it's too hot. I can't drive around aimlessly for 2+ hours - the baby needs to be fed and changed.

I try to keep him up either by talking to him, teasing him or (ahem) annoying him. But like the tide, sleep is inevitable. He's super sleepy from the car to my arms, but as I rush through the house to get to his room and place him on his bed, he's awake and won't go back down.

So today he napped for 5-10 minutes and he's been playing in his bed for almost 2 hours. I'm taking him out at 4pm so he'll just go without a nap today but I really don't like doing that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think it really depends on the kid's personality (for lack of a better word). I've never had a problem transferring my DS, although every once in a while I will lay next to him when he wakes up a little too much during the transfer.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hmmm, our main problem is that DD won't fall asleep (for naps) without the car. But we have a pretty easy time transfering her out. Timing is important for us - if she's been asleep too long, or not long enough, she wakes up. Also, I have to lie down with her for 5-10 minutes after bringing her to bed.

Also, how are you carrying him? I find that if I sort of lean back with her draped over my shoulder in a semi-reclined position that she's more apt to stay asleep.

All that said, kids are so different it's impossible for me to say if there IS a way for your DS to get back to sleep.

I wish I could be more helpful!

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
I go in for a hug then lift and lean back while walking so they are laying on me then when I lay them down I go down with them and do the hug and roll. I can even get DS2 on my back in a MT without waking him up, lol

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I've only sucessfuly transfered from car to bed once, but we go from bed to car every day without waking up. I think that how you hold dc is key. I carry DS like a basket, with one arm under his head/shoulders and my other arm under his knees/legs.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
No, I have no idea and firmly believe that this is one of those "either you kid goes for it or doesn't" situations. My Mom swears that even as an infant she could pick me up at my Grams asleep, put me in my snowsuit, into the car, drive me home, take me out of my snowsuit, change my diaper, and lay me in bed without me waking up. Frankly, I think she hallucinated it all.

I can count the number of times on one hand that I've successfully transferred DD from ANY sleeping place (car, couch, our bed, floor...) into her bed without her waking up. Luckily I don't have a baby to factor into the equation (yet!) so I will drive around for awhile or at least grab a drive thru coffee and go park somewhere with a nice view while she sleeps. On the occassions where I have to go home before she wakes on her own I usually end up holding her in the big rocker recliner in our living room & reading a book or something until she wakes up.

I am SOOOOO screwed once the baby comes in January....
:

Anyway, sorry I don't have any great suggestions to offer, but wanted to LYK that you're not alone!

Blessings,
Holly

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess he's one of those non-transferable kids!
:

What's happening now is I get DD out first and into the swing, crank it up and get her "swing high" going. I then go back out, take his shoes off (this is when he starts to wake up), drape him over my shoulders and then lug 3'3", 35lbs of toddler mass on my 5'3", 105lbs frame through the kitchen, past the family room and UP the (steep flight of) stairs into his room. Can you understand now why he's wide awake??
I try not to huff and puff as I'm walking up the stairs but I just realized today how B.I.G my little baby boy got! Didn't I just take him home from the hospital a couple of months ago??

I guess he's old enough (almost 3) that missing a nap here and there won't be the end of the world like it was when he was younger. He was in a very happy-go-lucky mood the entire evening, ate a great dinner and went down for the night great, no melt-downs.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
dd has never ever been able to do this!
not even late at night
no transfers, even as an infant! i'm always amazed at the kids that can transfer.

do you need to take off his shoes? can he finish the nap anywhere else but upstairs in his room?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Another mdc mama told me that she was really good at this (with her three kids) and so I figured it is possible--so the first few times I tried I pretended that I was really good at it too, somehow. That attitude seemed to help. I go in for the hug and throw her over my shoulder as well...also, the other tip is that she has to have been asleep almost exactly 15 min.

All kids, and people, are different though!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Oh man... dd would occaisionally do it in the past, but now no matter what, she wakes right up and won't go back to sleep. Even if she was only in the sleep in the car for 10 minutes, I can't get her back to sleep. This has been a huge pain. The other day I finally got her back to sleep a whole 3 HOURS LATER... (we got up and played and layed back down much later when she was cranky again)

Anyhoo, I too think it just depends on the child, though there are probably still some tricks to be learned to help. Good luck mama, wish I had some advice.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
My son is an easy transfer kid ... but he tends to wake up when I get him out of the car, and then he needs me to snuggle him for a bit before putting him down. Putting him down fast doesn't work, because then he's still sort of awake and gets mad that I'm putting him down. It works better to sit down in the recliner and rock him for 5-10 minutes and then gently put him down after that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts