Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, what *signs* do you look for to indicate that your DC may be ready to drop to 1 nap?

My DD is still taking 2 naps a day - morning and afternoon. I still rock her to sleep and put her down FULLY asleep for all naps and bedtime -- so I'm not sure what I should be looking for (on another board, people just mentioned that they put their DC down and they didn't sleep, just played through the nap -- but that doesn't apply to me since I wait 'til she's sleeping to put her down).

Anyway, the past couple of days, it's taken longer and longer for her to fall asleep for the morning nap (15-20 minutes of rocking, then a 45 minute nap) -the 45 minute nap is definitely TYPICAL - it's been that way for a long time. What isn't typical is the 15-20 minutes it took for her to fall asleep. Then, the afternoon nap (starting at around 2 or 2:15p) is only taking about 5 minutes of rocking and then she's OUT -- and it's lasting longer than usual, around 2 hours) -- which is then resulting in a later bedtime (typical is 7:30pm, lately it's been past 8-8:30p or even a little later).

So, any BTDT stories of : 1) what to look for, 2) how to start/do the transition, and 3) tips, tricks, advice, ?????

thanks!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
:

It sounds to me like your dd probably still needs two naps, as it isn't taking SUPER long to get her down and she isn't going to bed TOO late. However, I'm with ya on the later and later bedtime not being cool.

My ds can't seem to do without both naps (just breaks down crying if I try to do only one), but we've been looking at 10 pm and later for bedtime!!!

I too am interested in how to transition to the one nap.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hey there...
: I was poking around on the toddler boards, since DS is about to be one, and I thought I'd pipe in here.

DS is in the transition right now. I never know whether he'll take one nap or two in a given day, but the norm is quickly becoming one, from around 12:30 to 2:30. If he's still awake and happy at about 10:30, I have to make sure he stays up until at least noon, to make the switch from two naps down to one. So we either play outside at this point or we take a SHORT trip to somewhere exciting (the park, etc.) where he won't be in the car long enough to fall asleep. If he's occupied and happy elsewhere, it also usually buys me a few minutes of happy quiet play when we get back home. Then I fix his lunch, sometimes we take a shower together, and I throw him in the mei tai on my back and do housework. He falls alseep. His naps are rarely less than an hour and a half these days. Bedtime is between 8 and 9:30, depending on....everything.

This transition has been one of the hardest things for me to cope with this year. There was a point about a month ago where I'd be wearing him in the sling or the mei tai for an hour or more, and my back was KILLING me and he'd still be awake. (And he's 30 pounds.) Thank goodness that's over.

If I have any advice here (and who said I knew what I was doing!) I'd say don't let the morning nap be a long one. 30 minutes at the most. That way you're conditioning him for another longer nap in the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
My twins (now 20 months) took about four months to transition to one nap.

After a lot of frustration trying to figure out how to get through it, I finally just decided day by day whether they would have one or two naps on any particular day. If they were crabby and tired by their ususal nap time in the morning, they'd have their morning nap AND an afternoon one. (I would limit the morning nap to an hour - though they usually didn't sleep longer than 45 minutes.) But, if everyone was happy and playing, I'd wait as long as possible (usually they'd only make it till 11:30 or noon) and let them have one nap.

They now consistently take one nap, usually around noon. I'm still working on pushing it back till about 1:00, but right now they can't make it that long.

The transistion is annoying, but you'll get through it :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Moving to one nap was the best thing we did in terms of better sleeping and schedule for everyone. She sleeps longer and deeper with one nap. We started by trying to keep her awake in the late morning until after lunch (we moved up lunch a bit earlier to do it.) That meant not being in situations where she might just nod off - like the car! - during the mid-late morning, and doing active, fun play. Sometimes at first, she would nap at 11:30am and then take a little cat nap in the very late afternoon. And, as a PP noted, if she was super-cranky, we would also put her down for a nap in the morning. As she got a bit older (we started this at about one year), she could go later and later, and now she naps from 12:30 or 1 for up to 2 1/2 hours. She goes to sleep really easily for the nap because she's tired by 12:30, and it's always the same time each day.

I know not everyone is big on scheduled naps, but it sure works for us.

·
Registered
904 Posts
So I've started doing something active in the am, and hooray! ds has pretty easily transitioned to one nap, since I last posted! For us it was much easier than I thought it would be.

No more 10 night-times. Thank goodness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.