Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm anxious about how my DS will nap at daycare. He cosleeps, and often nurses down to naps. I will sometimes put him in our bed if he's right out, or sometimes I'll just let him nap on my lap.

THe daycare has cribs obviously, and they have a stroller for 'transitioning' (ie they'll rock them to sleep in the stroller, then transition to the crib). I don't know how well that will work. He knows the second he gets put down and is left alone (unless he's nursed down and I can sneak away).

How is it fair for me to expect them to hold him all day?? How can we make this work without using CIO (although letting a babe CIO would be kind of counter-productive at a daycare I guess seeing as it would just wake the other babies).

I 'm hoping I can get them to maybe lay a mat down in the playroom or something...I dunno. Any thoughts, past experiences, or input on napping at daycare in general?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
My daughter needs to be heavily parented to sleep. It takes forever for me to get her down and half the time I just end up going to bed at the same time she does because it takes so long to get her down.
At daycare, they dim the lights, put her down and she sleeps for two hours-no problem. Just wait and see how he reacts. I know that my daycare will not let babies cry. It is disruptive to the other children and my care provider just hates to hear a baby cry.

I bet it will work out for you and your ds too!
Suzy

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Every time I used to put my son to sleep it was a battle between his will and mine. I would nurse him to sleep, rub his legs, read him books, cuddle with him, and - like you - most of the time I would end up falling asleep with him. He didn't cry, but just didn't want to give in to falling asleep and wanted to talk and play. Sometimes it would take me an hour and a half of coersion and helping to get him sleeping.
However....he never once had trouble sleeping at daycare. They would pull the kids' mats out, dim the lights, put on the sleepy music and he was out within seconds every darn day! Go figure!

·
Registered
998 Posts
I was so worried about this too when dd started daycare, but, like the pp's, she has had no problems napping there. I wonder why that is?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Same here! All three of my kids would not go to sleep at home unless I was lying right there next to them with my boob in their mouth. I was worried sick about the first one when I had to put him in daycare. I need not have worried--they go into that darkened, quiet room with the other kids/babies sleeping, and off they go to dreamland! Evolutionarily, we were meant to be raised in communes; so the group mentality just seems to rub off on the kids, and if it's time for everyone to sleep, they seem to sleep.

I'm now terrified that my 3 yr. old *is* going to nap at his new preschool. My whole 3-ring-circus life depends entirely on his NOT napping and going to bed early. Help!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the reasurance mamas. I'm sure it will work itself out...as daycare time gets closer I'm growing anxious....I think it will be harder on me than on him. I sway back and forth from convincing myself it's a good thing and that he'll thrive and love all the interaction, to feeling like I'll be torn as to what to do (fisnish school, or stay home with babe) if he hates it...I don't want to make him be there if it's not going to work for him/us....although I'm sure it will. I'm getting butterflies in my stomach and tears in my eyes just thinking of leaving him there. I hope I have a good poker face come his first day!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hugs mama. Your DS is at a tricky age to start daycare but I am sure he'll be fine.

I wanted to add my agreement to the others saying that a child CAN and usually will find other ways of going to sleep when mama isn't available. Both my babies have been cosleepers/nurse-to-sleepers and have had very little trouble napping at daycare. Babies are smart. From an early age my son has had different ways of going to sleep with me vs. his grandma vs. his babysitter vs. his other babysitter vs. daycare. The methods that any of those other people used to get him to sleep would NEVER have worked for me -- and they could never have nursed him to sleep of course! -- but the bottom line is that he did go to sleep and was fine, and yours will too.

As the pp said, most daycares will not CIO simply because it's disruptive to the other babies. My daycare uses a swing, or they will stand next to the crib and gently jiggle it until the baby goes to sleep. Sometimes they will also hold/rock the baby if necessary (and if their workload allows!). You can ask your daycare about this and express your preference, with the realization that they may not be able to hold the baby all the time. They should at least be receptive and sympathetic, and they should reassure you that they will find a way.

Hang in there! Good luck.
-Joan

·
Registered
885 Posts
I was worried about this too when DD started going to a babysitter during the day when she was 10 months. But starting the first day, the babysitter got her to take 2 naps, no problem! She has been going to this lady for almost a year now and she says she just puts her down and she goes to sleep! We still can't do that at home, one of us (usually me) has to lay down with her until she falls asleep. I get jealous sometimes and want to know how she does it with 2 (another little girl goes there that is the same age as DD)!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts