Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My 13-month-old is beginning to skip her morning nap. She has always been a cat-napper (about 35-40 minutes) unless I am there napping with her (then she'll sleep up to 3 hours). Rarely can I nap with her because I have a 4.5 year old DD as well.

For the past couple of days, she has taken ONE 35-minute nap at 1:00 and has been absolutely miserable the rest of the afternoon. I try to get her back to sleep as soon as she stirs, but it's usually too late. If I can get her back to sleep, I can't expect my 4.5 year old to stay downstairs, so I tell her to read for 10 minutes and then bring more books upstairs for us to read together. Then my youngest is up within another 10 minutes from our reading aloud and turning on the light.

She does at least sleep 12 hours at night, but she obviously needs more daytime sleep. Anyone have any suggestions for getting her to sleep longer on her own? She's in a darkened room with a fan on for white noise. I've tried to leave things by her with my scent, but she wakens anyway looking for the breast. My older DD was the same way, but since it was just her and I, I always napped with her, so she would take great naps.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi! Just wanted to commiserate a little - my 13 month old DS has started dropping his afternoon nap, and he is a bear from 430 til bedtime at 730 as a result!

I have been experimenting with putting him in his playpen or crib and sitting quietly with him, but not really interacting with him. For a while he will stand up and yell, but after about 5 minutes he will lay down and start rolling around singing to himself. Once he fell aslepp for about half an hour, and another he fell asleep but woke up after a few minutes when the dog flapped her ears right next to him (grrrrr).

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but he seems to be realizing that he can lay down and rest if he needs to.

Good luck!

Jane

·
Registered
392 Posts
how about putting her down earlier for her one nap? DS who is almost 14 months has been on one nap for sometime now (since 10 or 11 mos.??) he usually eats a snack between 1030 and 11 and then goes down for a nap right after that. bad days he sleeps an hour and a half. great days he goes 3 hours. as he gets older i'll probably move it more into the afternoon but at this point he's ready to sleep by 11 most days which i really have to watch if we're in the car and he falls asleep and gets only a half hour - he won't go down in the afternoon....... ack! you have to find that window where your daughter is just about to be exhausted and put her down. if she is overtired she won't sleep as well. good luck!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't know if you're cosleeping or have DD in a crib. We'd been cosleeping at night and doing naps in the crib...our son stretched out his naps when we stopped putting him in his crib and went full-time in our bed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My 16 mo ds is the same way. He's my only one, so I nap with him every day. For a while I successfully got him to nap with less help from me, but then teething put us right back where we started. During the time when we were making progress, I would pull the nipple out before he was fully asleep, a la No Cry Sleep Solution. I don't know if you've tried this. Aside from that, I also jostled him a little after he was asleep for five or ten minutes, to make him settle himself back into a deeper sleep. Doing this a couple times seemed to make him less likely to fully awaken later from some minor disturbance or from his own tossing and turning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.