Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is 14 months and I was wondering how many naps she needs. She gets one for sure everyday but sometimes depending on how early or late she wakes up, she does not get a second one. The problem is that by the time it's bedtime she is having meltdowns that I know are caused by being overly tired from not napping. Should I try to get her into more predictable sleeping and nap times? Or should I just let her show me when she's tired?

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
What time does she take her first/only nap? Is it early? If it is, maybe you can try to keep her awake a little longer in the morning before napping to push the process back a little. DD phased out her 2nd nap around the same age as your dd & it felt like it was always a work in progress. Even now, she's not totally predictable. We can't go by the clock, just a very rough estimate of how long she's been awake. I wish i could help you more!!!

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
My dd was down to one nap at 9 mos and none at 18 mos and my experience is the transition does cause some meltdowns at night until you settle into a new routine. Maybe xpost in nighttime parenting and see what you get there.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't have any advice, really, just empathising...

My dd is 15mo and for a few weeks has been seeming to transition from 2 naps down to one. We have the same problem, though, where she is just ditching her afternoon nap and napping normally in the morning, rather than taking a longer midday nap. So she gets super tired and cranky in teh evening as well. Then I'm tempted to put her down for bed earlier, but then she wakes up earlier in the morning... it's just a viscious cycle.

I'm just guessing this will work itself out and the morning nap will elongate eventually....?

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 14 month old ds has been taking only one nap for a while now. He takes a two hour nap around 11-12ish. He goes to bed at around 7 and up at 6. Maybe your little one needs an earlier bedtime with only one nap? I know ds started going to bed earlier when he started one nap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts