Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing my DD at a local store... when 2 women entered the restroom... one mentioned how cute my dd's cd's were and the second lady said snidely...."Cloth diapering is for poor people." I was so dumbfounded that I was actually speechless. My sons then said..."Mommy are we poor?" and I replied..."No honey, I just care so much about your sisters health and the environment that I choose to stand up and try to make a positive difference in the world".. With that said.. I heard major..."coughing"....

Anyone with any similiar experiences?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Wow. The things some people think it is alright to say.
: I've never had a derogatory comment like that said about my CD-ing. Usually most people give me the standard "Whoa, I didn't know people still did that" or "I would never be able to A) keep up with the additional laundry, B) make my DH change a dipe again or C) scrape the poop off the dipe without puking " kind of comments. I try to educate the commentators but sometimes I am just met with the "Well, I am glad it's YOU CD-ing, not me" kind of attitude.

I think I would have definitely not have been as "nice" as you were facing that kind of rudeness though. Sorry your little one had to hear those comments.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
that is just plain RUDE! How dare she pass judgement on you like that especially in front of your children. I just mostly get "isnt it gross to use cloth" statements. Well, really isnt all poop gross no matter where it is. My MIL was shocked that you dont have to dunk and rinse anymore and was grossed out that we put poopy dipes in our washing machine. I told DH that I shouldnt mention that I did it in theirs when we went to visit last year huh?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Wow, some people are so rude! If that lady only knew just how expensive some cloth diapers are!

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
HOW ignorant and rude! I would have said something back similar to what you said. They obviously have no clue why people would still use cloth and just assume it's cause you can't afford sposies.
I'm sorry someone said something mean about your wonderful cloth dipes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What a rude statement to say to a complete stranger. The things that come out of people mouths just amaze me sometimes!!! I think you handled it beautifully though, I'm not real sure if I'd have been as gracious as you were in that situation, my hat's off to you Mama!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I love your response! It's nice to see a mama take the high road.
That was so extremely rude- and I have yet to encounter rudeness of that magnitude-yet it helps to read a smart comeback. I prefer these and am not one to argue with others, kwim? So, thanks for writing about this to show us how to be the bigger person. Many times I read threads about arguments with people in public where I feel in the end the other person/people feel even more strongly about their uneducated viewpoint because someone was willing to stoop to their level. I will keep a response like yours handy- I always find myself thinking of the perfect thing to say long after the fact!
: Again, thanks. And, also, sorry your child had to experience that.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Wow that IS rude!! LOL...I don't know how much you've invested in your dipes, but we've invested close to $300 for everything we have, AIO's, prefolds, and covers. Of course you save big in the long term, but still....CDing isn't exactly "cheap". That lady really revealed her ignorance

·
Registered
136 Posts
You know what really gets me? There are some people who drive expensive cars, live in a big house, etc. who don't have enough money to afford all that stuff - they are just way overextended on credit cards and other debt. On the other hand, there are people who have millions of dollars in the bank who live in simple houses and drive beat up old cars.

Which one of those people would you call rich? The problem is that people who spend lots of money are seen as "rich" when they may not be. It's true that my main motivation for using cloth is to save money, but saving money on diapers allows me to spend more money in other places, or better yet, save more money for retirement, college, etc.

It's clear that the people making those comments don't have a clue about what makes someone "rich" or "poor".

<stepping off of soapbox>

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
i work at a daycare, and ive mentioned wanting to cd when i have kids..... they girls i work with think im absolutly crazy... they think its nasty to put them in the washer.... i said "well what did you do when your girls had potty training accidents? " if it was a poop accident, she threw the undies away....

i bought some off the tp here for a friend, and they admitted that they were totally cute, but still said it was nasty, lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Geez how rude! She obviously needs to go check out some of the hyena dipes if she thinks cd is for "poor people". What a *itch!

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
I've heard people say my baby will get diaper rash or it's not right to make them sit in a wet diaper ie those little balls in sposies suck all the mosisture. I set them straight though

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am sorry to hear of your incident. Great retort!
I can never think on my feet that fast.
I have gotten the "I hope you plan to throw away your washing machine when your done diapering." But this was from a woman who doesn't have children-so I took it with a grain of salt. Mostly I get the- you must be a treehugger kind of comment - That I don't find insulting even if they meant it to be- I am a treehugger and proud of it!

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothragirl
why is being poor an insult?
Her statement was snide, like she was poor and therefore couldn't even afford the necessities, like paper diapers. It hurts to not be able to afford everything your kid needs and she was hitting below the belt, regardless of whether the OP cloth diapers out of financial necessity or not.

Now, I *am* poor and I don't try to hide it. We do cloth diaper partly because there's no way we could afford sposies (but I switched long before we were in this situation) and I let people know it. But if someone commented on, oh let's say, how I must be so poor because I can't afford to take my DS to mcd's once in a while, when actually we *choose* not to, it's kind of the same thing. It's a below-the-belt comment implying that your kids aren't getting the "best".

Ironically, my kid is actually getting the better end of the deal.

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
OP, that was a great response.
Hopefully she'll think twice before opening her big mouth again! I can't believe how little class people can have sometimes.
:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.