Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nathan
8lbs 6oz 20 inches

I knew that he was going to be born over the weekend. Dh did too. I had been cramping so much that it just seemed impossible to keep going longer. We went for dinner for my bday Friday night. While there I kept feeling like labor would start at any moment. Later that night we were having sex and my water broke (same thing happened with ds1)! That was approx 11:15pm. I knew at that point he wouldn't make it on that day but figured it wouldn't be far off if he followed a similar pattern as previously (ds1 was born in 3 hours). We called the midwife, B, and she agreed trying to get sleep would be the best option. We did lay down and I drifted on and off for an hour or so before I felt contractions around 12:30. (We did scramble a bit right after the water broke to set up additional things, put the plastic sheet on the bed, get out supplies, etc).

Transactions started around 12:30am for around 5 minutes apart for 30 seconds. They quickly progressed to every 3 minutes for 45-60 seconds. Thought for sure it wouldn't be long at that point. Convinced B she needed to come over because I didn't want to be alone. Poor thing had just done a long birth for the previous 20+ hours and hadn't slept yet! Dh started filling the birth tub to feel like he was doing something! She ended up arriving around 3:30 and had her apprentice J with her. They immediately set to work setting up their equipment, such as putting blankets in the stove, setting up hot water on the stove to keep the birth tub warm, etc. The entire time from 12:30 - 3:00-ish ds1 was awake. He could sense the excitement and heard the music I was playing. I spent most of the time on the birth ball and it made the contractions so much easier.

At this point I kept thinking how easy the whole thing was - and how peaceful. I absolutely loved being at home without worrying about when to leave to the hospital. It felt so relaxed and easy...little did I know!

The contractions kept right on going at the same pace throughout the night. I wanted to get in the tub but B wouldn't let me until 5-6 cm. So I asked her to check me and I was at 5cm. Decided to keep laboring instead of risking slowing things. I was honestly shocked to only be that far after about 4-5 hours. I already had ds1 by that point!!

Around 5:30 I started feeling really sleepy so I decided to see if I could sleep. I did for about an hour or so. That completely stopped the contractions. I went and took a shower, ate breakfast and generally hung out for a while. Around 9:30-ish, we did some nipple stimulation and things started kicking in. The contractions became much stronger. I continued to labor on the ball and it was great. Ds1 would periodically come in and check on me - he was so sweet! He was allowed unlimited video games during the process so he kept coming in and out. I started having bad back labor and I noticed things getting more painful. I asked if I could go in the tub. Beth said I could but if things slowed, I needed to get out. Deal! The initial entry into the tub was *heavenly*...it felt soooooo good. Then the contractions really started. And the back labor was like nothing I've ever felt - and I had some with Ds1. It was 1000 times worse. It felt like my back would explode. I really wanted to cry through each contraction. They tried different things, like pushing on the back, using a ball on the sacrum, etc., but man, it was just too much for words. They put a birth stool in the tub for me to sit on and that did help some, but it took everything I had to get through each contraction. At one point I said, "I hope I'm almost at transition because I really feel I'm at the point where women say they can't do it anymore!!!!" After awhile I felt too confined. I really needed to pace to get through the back pain. It was too much. So I decided to leave the tub - in retrospect, it was the best thing I did. Even though it was so painful I felt I could do it and never waivered.

This gets hazy but I was then pacing around, holding on to the edge of the bed, labor ball, etc. Then I started feeling the urge to push. I think it was sometime between 12:30 and 1:30pm but I can't be sure. I was sitting on the stool and pushing but it didn't seem to be doing all that much. I noticed my midwife wiping brown onto a towel on the ground but didn't think anything of it - I thought I pooped. After a few minutes she asked if she could check me. She did - I could feel her reaching waaaaayyy in so I knew that pushing wasn't doing much. She said she thought I had either a baby with a seriously molded head or he was breech. She got the sign of him bring breech from all the meconium coming out. (That was the brown). It wasn't normal staining - it was full, tarry poop coming out from the butt being squished. We were all VERY surprised as when they checked his heart tones, they had to go way down to my pubic bone to hear them. We were convinced his head was down there. (Note: I had been checked recently by B, the backup CNM/OB and they all thought head down!) She told me I could go to the hospital if I wanted. She said his heart tones were fine and never dropped. They were great the whole time, so if I wanted to stay home we could (as long as he was okay, obviously). My main words were "I don't want a c-section!" so she said we could stay as long as it was safe. I had complete faith in her judgement. If she said we have no choice but to go, I would have gone.

I kept pushing and he was making some progress but it was slow. I can't describe the pain. I honestly don't know how I did it. It felt like forever and I was so shocked at the length of time. B suggested I change positions because it didn't seem effective. I tried holding the edge of the bed and squatting and hands and knees. I swapped between the two. Nothing felt good because of the back pain. His heart rate was still going well and I finally felt like he was low enough that something was going to happen. I got on the bed in hands and knees and begin pushing with all my might with each contraction. I literally had sweat pouring off of me. It is a bit hazy thinking back on it, but I remember feeling very primal. I could start finally feeling some burning as if he was close to crowning. It literally felt like a bowling ball - so big - and that I was tearing open from the inside. I was thinking that I didn't see how he could fit - that he must be a 12 pound baby. He finally burst through and the midwife confirmed he was breech and that his butt/testicles had come through first. She had to reach in and pull his arms out as they were straight up. At this point, things got really intense. She told me that now I needed to get him out *immediately* because only his head remained. She put me into a special position for this type of delivery, kind of hanging off the bed on my back. I no longer had the urge to push and I was exhausted from several hours of pushing. But she kept saying, "You need to get him out NOW!!!" so I just kept pushing and pushing and pushing. I don't know how I did it. Sometime before this Ds1 came in and was watching the whole thing - and wasn't scared! Baby's head finally popped out. His body was pink but arms and legs were blue. He would only take every third breath on his own. His apgar was 3. B told Dh to call 911 so EMTs would be there in case they couldn't get him going. His heart rate was still completely normal through all of this!! He was getting oxygen through the cord so I was not panicking at this point, plus they were giving him air. I just felt like everything would be okay. The EMTs arrived in about 2 minutes as they are right down the street. At this point they wanted Beth to cut the cord so they could take him to work on him. As soon as the EMT picked him up, he was PISSED and started screaming and breathing completely normally! They stayed a while to evaluate him and all agreed he was absolutely fine. His apgar was 8 at 5 min and 10 at 10 min. Their recommendation (as it had to be) was to take him to a hospital but we declined. The EMTs were totally cool - one of them had several homebirthed cousins so she wasn't phased.

I was FINALLY able to hold the baby (Nathan) and really look at him! I immediately thought he looked sooo much like Ds1! He was sooo cute! Lots of wavy black hair. And chubby. He has a "stork bite" right across his forehead! And wow, those legs look pretty bowed from his positioning! I thought he looked smaller than Ds1 though. She weighed him and he was 8lbs 6oz and 20 inches long. An ounce bigger than ds1. I tried pushing a little to see if the placenta would come out. After pushing so long, I was wiped. I could barely push. I got up and went to the toilet to see if that would help. Finally it plopped into the toilet and I went back into the bed with my family. My bleeding was completely normal at that point and not a concern. B checked me for tears and there was just a tony one that would need a single stitch - I was so surprised! J examined what came out in the toilet and realized it was only a very small part of the placenta. B had me lay back on the bed and basically stuck her arm inside me to try to manually remove the rest. OUCH!!! That was not fun! She got some but couldn't get all. At this point she said that we really need to transport as I could hemmorhage if it didn't all get out soon. She didn't want to do anything further as I was stable at that point (she had already given me something herbal or homeopathic, not sure, and also a shot of pitocin and nothing helped). I couldn't believe we'd have to go to the hospital for ME after all Nathan went through - you'd think he'd be the one! So we called 911 again to transport. We got different EMTs this time but they had already heard all about everything as this is a very small town!

They loaded me onto the ambulance and I was still fine. ds1, however, was freaking out. He was worried sick about me. They wouldn't let him ride with me as they didn't have proper seat belts. He rode with dh and followed us. B and Nathan came with me. I was fine and alert the whole ride. I said to B, "One of the reasons I wanted a home birth was privacy. Um, looks like that didn't quite work out!!" As they were unloading me off the rig, I started feeling extremely hot and woozy. Everything started sounding far away and in slow motion. I saw ds1 standing there and it took everything I had not to pass out so I could wave to him and make sure he knew I was okay. That's probably the only reason I didn't pass out! As I entered the hospital, I was greeted with a blast of cold A/C and I snapped out of it and felt sooo much better! I was brought to a room where I started feeling a bit woozy again. I heard them say my BP was 60/30! They gave me all sorts of IVs and told me they were taking me to the OR to do a manual removal and if that didn't work, a D&C. The doctor was extremely rude to me once he knew it was a homebirth. He wouldn't even speak to me - just *around* me to the nurses. I had to repeatedly ask for information and advocate for myself. It was so frustrating! I remember waking up from the removal to hear the docs/nurses saying they had left gauze inside me but the x-ray showed it and they removed it. YIKES. I was given 2 pints of blood. I also remember asking what was done and they said just the manual removal. I was brought back to my room and no one could find dh/ds1 so I thought maybe they went home as it was almost midnight. Finally they were found and came to visit. Dh was a wreck and ds1 was too. Apparently he had been crying quite a bit since he was so worried. Add to that being up so late (and up late the night before) and he was just a mess! They all went home to sleep and I had to stay at the hospital to stabilize for a few hours. It was sooo hard being away from my family and new baby! They wouldn't let the baby stay with me (then later told me he could have - they were all contradicting each other)! I asked for a pump and at least felt like I was doing something for him by pumping as often as possible. My wonderful midwife and her apprentice stayed at my house with dh, ds1 and the baby to help out - how awesome are they?

Early in the morning, I was deemed okay and we all headed home. They told me I would be weak and a mess from the tranfusions. However, I was GREAT, looked great with full color and had no pain whatsoever. It was such a long labor, delivery, and saga after, but I felt good as new immediately! What a difference with not having a tear. Looking back, I'm so thrilled with how everything turned out. I'm not thrilled I ended up in the hospital of course, but the situation was handled appropriately and that's what makes a successful home birth.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
what a sweet pea!!!!!!! It sounds like you and Nathan did a great job!!!
Alaina had a cord and a very low apgar too....and was blue i know what you mean by knowing it would be alright. I think homebirth promotes that.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Awesome birth story mama!!! Congrats!

He is soooooooo cute!!!!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
That is such an awesome story! Sorry about the hospital part, but the rest of the story is a fabulous one.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
What a beautiful baby!

Very exciting story, great reading!

What a strong person you are, it is amazing that you were able to push like that and remain calm with all that back pain.

I'm sorry you ended up at the hospital but so glad you were all ok! And no tears after all that!!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Does your mom know yet?
LOL, Yes!
She was semi-okay with it (afterall, he was here and fine) but then freaked when I brought up the breech part. I left out the part about the hemorrhage. Just told her the placenta reatined, but not that I needed transfusions. She said she used to freak at breech births when working in the hospital but of course, she doesn't see them anymore since they are all c/s...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I am so happy everything worked out fine after all the surprises! I learned so much from your birth story. Thanks! Have a lovley baby moon.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
What a neat story- you are a strong mama! Your kids are gorgeous, by the way!

Clara

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
What an amazing story. I'm always so inspired by breech homebirths! Sorry about the hospital part and that the dr was such a jerk. I'm glad everything worked out so well though. He's such a cutie!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.