Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Newborn DS has a temporary colostomy--well, he'll have it for the next 15-18 months.  I have been told to use Vaseline on it to keep it from sticking to his diapers and being irritated.  I have been specifically instructed NOT to put Desitin, A&D, etc. directly on the stoma itself....only on the skin around it if he develops a rash.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is there something more natural I could use?</p>

·
Registered
589 Posts
<p>Could you use <a href="http://www.unpetroleum.com/?id=98&pid=493" target="_blank">this</a>?</p>

·
Registered
178 Posts
<p>look into coconut oil  :)</p>

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>now the question is where to find that non petroleum stuff....I don't think I've ever seen it at the health food stores I go to, but I will be checking  :)  the thing i wonder about straight up coconut oil is when it's totally melted like it sometimes does.  I think it'd be OK when it's more solid...I'll experiment.  I just don't want it to get all over my diapers and mess them up--we CD, and this has me revamping my stash to either find inserts to put in the few fleece pocket diapers I have or replace them for this baby.  (for those who don't know, diaper ointment, vaseline, and the like wreck the fleece layer of the pockets and then they leak.)</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts