Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what I might do other than give a decongestant or antibiotic to my 3.5 y.o.? Or is that the best route? Her sinuses have been stuffed up for over 6 weeks, and I am suspicious that it is just form the dry winter air/heating system. I don't want to have to give meds if I just need a humidifier, or to drink more water.

Anyone have experience with this, or other input? Thanks!

· Registered
1,383 Posts
What we normally do is a vaporizor in the room where they sleep, lots of Vitamin C, and probiotics. You can also try homeopathic remedies (do a search in health and healing). I would hold off on decongestants or antibiotics if possible. This has been a bad year for us (mostly me) we can't seem to stay well for long. Hope your little one is feeling better soon!

· Premium Member
5,606 Posts
I don't usually use humidifiers/vaporizers in bedrooms at our house because they tend to harbor germs & because too much humidity causes proliferation of dust mites & molds which my kids are allergic to. If I use them at all, I make a "tent" out of blankets & steam it up inside there. Usually though I just let them stand in a warm shower for a while to loosen everything up.

If they are having trouble I do saline irrigation at least 2-3 times/day (1 cup warm water, 1/2 t pickling salt, 1/4 t baking soda). If they seem to have mucus congestion & I want to give a medication, I generally give a decongestant & expectorant combination (like Rescon GG or Robitussin PE). And lots of water, of course.

· Registered
382 Posts
I have suffered with sinus infection every time I get a cold for years. Recently, I asked at a health food store about any suggestions, and they recommended oil of oregano. I've used it during the last couple of colds, and haven't had a sinus infection, so I think that it works. I take a few drops in some juice, and I have to warn that it tastes horrific, and burns a bit in the throat. I was told to administer it to small children by rubbing a bit on the bottoms of their feet. I haven't tried that as yet, so not sure how successful that is. Hope this helps!

· Registered
2,973 Posts
ok, my son just had sinus for over 2 weeks. I'd never give him antibiotics so I "tortured " him with constantly spraying into his nose homeopathic sprays and also into his mouth homeopathis remedies. There is a lot out there. The tric is to be CONSISTENT!! At the end he was so used to it I did not even had to lie on his while he was screeming his head of.....well, better then drugs!

Here is what we used: nose spray

spray into mouth

plus whatever spray they had at whole foods. i think it was this one:

http://www.botlab.com/product.asp?pa...traBio&pid=544
again, use it all the time, day and night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.