Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a natural remedy that could serve as an antihistimine while nursing/breastfeeding? I'm very grateful for all suggestions!

Ideally, I'm looking for a remedy that serves as an antihistimine, is chemical free, is safe when transmitted through breastmilk, and does not decrease supply. However, I will take any suggestions (even suggestions unrelated to nursing) as I can use all ideas in the future even beyond nursing.

I deal with lots of health issues, autoimmune issues, and immune system issues, which is a large reason I'm not taking a traditional antihistimine. I'm doing an incredible amount correctly regarding managing these health issues, but am finding that I'm needing something to stop the histamine response to dust, etc.

Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I breastfed continuously for six years and took Allegra (except while pregnant), Claritin, and Benadryl during that period and Prednizone once for a bee sting (the latter was non-negotiable). The pharmaceutical antihistamines all checked out in Hale's Medications and Mother's Milk, so I decided any risk was better than me not functioning but can't vouch for the longterm effects (none have shown up yet, my daughters are 4 and 7). Zero impact on my supply, but I also had a really strong supply that could withstand Sudafed and combination birth control pills which are both generally no-nos supply-wise (my youngest nursing child was old enough, over 2, that I felt comfortable risking my supply).

A neti pot sometimes helps to reduce the degree of my allergic response to environmental allergens. That's the only natural allergy treatment that I've found any real success with nursing or otherwise, but I hope you find an answer. Maybe try cross-posting in the breastfeeding forum?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I breastfed continuously for six years and took Allegra (except while pregnant), Claritin, and Benadryl during that period and Prednizone once for a bee sting (the latter was non-negotiable). The pharmaceutical antihistamines all checked out in Hale's Medications and Mother's Milk, so I decided any risk was better than me not functioning but can't vouch for the longterm effects (none have shown up yet, my daughters are 4 and 7). Zero impact on my supply, but I also had a really strong supply that could withstand Sudafed and combination birth control pills which are both generally no-nos supply-wise (my youngest nursing child was old enough, over 2, that I felt comfortable risking my supply).

A neti pot sometimes helps to reduce the degree of my allergic response to environmental allergens. That's the only natural allergy treatment that I've found any real success with nursing or otherwise, but I hope you find an answer. Maybe try cross-posting in the breastfeeding forum?
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts