Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always researching alternative building methods for my future homestead and I have become intrigued by using light straw clay. It is basically straw coated with liquified clay and then stuffed into temporary forms to create walls.<br><br>
I have in the past been very interested in cob and strawbale. Both of these materials have caveats in the cold, wet (humid) cliamate in which I hope to build (northern Michigan). So straw clay seems to have the best of both: good insulation (although not as good as strawbale), and the thermal mass of cob. Of course, one would have to build a wood frame to hold the non load-bearing material, so the cost would be higher than a cob home.<br><br>
I don't know how to post links, but I have found a bit of good info on the web.<br><br>
Does anyone have any experiences with this or thoughts on the method?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I know of a few houses near me that were built with straw-clay. My husband has some concrete forms that snap together so you can pour between the layers and possibly finding a contractor who rents them out or set them up cheaply would speed things up; I'm not sure if you're trying to save money.<br><br>
One of my friends built her house but put the beams right in middle of the mix, as in she poured the mix in between the mix. Then they poured the bond beam and proceeded as usual.<br><br>
I think it's a great choice for your climate, just be sure to build proper overhangs and have a good foundation.<br><br>
Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts