Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i'm thinking of switching cat litter from whatever store brand i can find at BJ's and costco to something more natural. Also, I'm wondering if anyone composts the litter. I have 2 indoor cats, 8 yrs old. I used something a while ago that i bought at Trader joe's but they didn't seem to like it and it was tough scooping the poop out without removing most of the 'litter'. these were small pellets that i think could've been composted. thanks!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Feline Pine and Swheat Scoop are my favorite all-natural litters. They don't track very much, the box doesn't smell horrible, its flushable, and you can use it for compost after 2 weeks. Plus, I found that both are cheaper than clay scoopable litter.

Jessie
(single mommy to Emma, 3 years and Angela, 2 years)

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I love love love Feline Pine. It's so low maintenance, it doesn't stink, and one litter box's worth lasts a long time. No clay dust in the air (that stuff gets in the back of my throat, I hate it). Scoop the poops every now and again, flush them, stir the litter, change it maybe every two weeks.

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
We use the worlds greatest cat litter, but then my husband got fed up with the price and switched us to schweat scoop. And (as history repeats itself, this is the second time) it broke our litter maid.

He didn't beleive me that's what happened to the last one...anyway, he's been mad about being the only one to clean the litter box for the last year and a half (pg & bf).

CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You cannot compost cat or dog waste!!!! they contain parasites that can be harmful to your pile and your food supply! Don't do it, it's not worth it. If you switch to a natural one, you can flush it to the wastewater treatment facility, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't compost it!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
my understanding is that is is fine to compost pet waste as long as the compost is not used on food crops, or if it is aged long enough it may be ok for food crops. with humanure you have to age it for quiet a while and can then use it on food crops

they also sell a special worm bin especially for pet litter http://www.composters.com/docs/worms_p2.html

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hklinefelter22 View Post
CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You cannot compost cat or dog waste!!!! they contain parasites that can be harmful to your pile and your food supply! Don't do it, it's not worth it. If you switch to a natural one, you can flush it to the wastewater treatment facility, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't compost it!
A note on the Feline Pine bag says to flush the feces, and use the remainder as mulch.
I have no use for mulch, personally...I just put in in my garbage.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I love, love, love Swheat Scoop. We blend in a little baking soda to keep the smell down and flush it. Works awesome, cats love it, better for the environment. We used Feline Pine for awhile but really prefer the scoopable litter for convenience's sake. It was great for the price and the cats didn't mind the different texture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.