Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
I'm 30 weeks pregnant and a little disatisfied with my ob group/hospital. Wondering if anyone has had experience with natural childbirth and has a recommendation for a great doctor (or midwife practice that delivers in a hospital or birth center with doctor backup) who supports a natural, normal, nonmedicated birth with a minimum of intervention. I want to stay away from routine IV, continuous EFM, food deprivation, etc. Looking for a normal, joyful birth, but we're not comfortable with home birth b/c of our distance from the hospital (about 30 minutes from Scranton). This is my first pg. Thanks for any feedback!
Alison

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
30 minutes in which direction?
The Reading birth center is just about a 2 hour drive from Scranton, so if you were closer in that direction, that would be a reasonable drive. Otherwise, you might not fare too badly in Moses if you have a doula. I would avoid CMC like the plague. I can't recall hearing anything about Mercy at all. I understand that Wayne Memorial in Honesdale isn't too bad, either. They do have a midwife group (with ob backup, of course).

I've only been to Moses myself, everything else is just based on what I've heard around, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Unfortunatly I can't give any recommendations for hospitals or birth centers in that area as I had home births so I never did the research. I do want to offer my services as a doula, though. I am a student midwife and live in Milford, PA. As long as you are within 1.5 hours of me I would be happy to attend as your doula free of charge. I know how tough it can be to get the birth you want in a hospital and if there is any way I can help just e-mail or PM me. Best of luck!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have done a lot of research on all the different options and found homebirth to be the only option where I feel really assured me that I can have natural, low intervention birth and care providers who are evidence based in their approach to my care.

I live in Philadelphia, and will be doing HB, but the hospital I would go to (where my backup OB will be) is at least 30 minutes from our house and not in the city so I understand your fear about being far, but the thing to realize about homebirths is that if you have to go to the hospital, the midwives will make the call to go WAY WAY before you are ever in the position of having it be an emergency. And Half and hour from the hospital is not that far actually. I know some women who are two hours or more.

Anyway, if you reconsider homebirth, you could try womenwise -- Christy Santoro and Karen Webster. Their website is really good -- www.womenwise.info
I am using them, and know several women who have switched from OB Practices (for the same reasons you are thinking of doing it) to using Christy and Karen. I am very happy with their care, accesiblility and their extensive collectivbe knowledge. I know they handle a large majority of Amish and mennonite home births also. Anyhow, they were the only people I could find who I felt really "got" it with regards to natural, low intervention, evidence-based approach to childbirth.

They also may be able to point you towards someone in your area who is more in line with what you want.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your input. I'm thirty minutes north of Scranton, so Reading would be really far, but my childbirth teacher (we go to Bradley classes in the Bethlehem area--the closest Bradley instructor) suggested looking into possibilities in the Lehigh Valley, so I may do that. Moses is where I'm currently going, but I ended up there overnight for observation last week and the on-call doc and some of the nurses were very pushy with the protocol. One (very nice) nurse told me that during labor they will push for continuous monitoring there.

Thank you Septmommy for your generous offer. I'll have to talk to my husband about it--once we figure out exactly what we're going to do/where we're going to go.

And thank you for the recommendation Phillychiquita. I'll have to check out that website.
Anyone else have recommendations??? Thanks,
Alison

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Hi! I always post for these questions, because I was in Wilkes-Barre, and I couldn't find anything. No midwife, no doula, no Bradley and it was very disheartening. I used to work in the nursery at Geisinger WV - don't go there. Don't go to classes there. Don't see an OB there.
Stay away if you have any interest in natural childbirth, or seeing your baby after its born.

There's a midwife at Geisinger in Danville named Shari Wachob, who was recommended to me as the most natural one around. I know its far for you though. I really liked her but unfortunately I didn't get her when I went, but the other 3 there are good too. They were very open to what I wanted considering its a medical center, and the facilities were really nice (whirlpook tubs!!). I had a good experience there, but I know its far for you. There is also the midwife group in the poconos, but I don't know anything about them, personally.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The Birth Center in Bryn Mawr is a decent compromise between hospital birth and home birth.

www.thebirthcenter.org

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Have you looked at the Southern Tier of NY? I'm guessing your in Susq. Co. somewhere? I don't know what hospitals are like up there, the only person I know there had a homebirth. But maybe if you start a different topic here, some Southern Tier mamas can chime in.

Are you near enough to Wayne Memorial to consider it? That may be better than Moses.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
If you are driving all the way to the LV, you could go with The Midwives and Associates. I had both of my kids with them. They lease space in a hospital, but none of the regular hospital staff comes in and bothers you. I can't find a website for them ( I am unsure if they have one).

I did find these listinfs in the Yellow Pages Online Directory... I have no idea if the information is accurate though. I have no feed back to provide on any either.

ELAINE HERCHER MIDWIFE 570-714-2300
445 Wyoming Ave
Kingston, PA 18704
15.8MI from Scranton

ELAINE HERCHER MIDWIFE 570-836-0502
Warner Complex
Tunkhannock, PA 18657
17.8MI from Scranton

DREHER JANICE MIDWIFE 570-323-3671
777 Rural Ave
Williamsport, PA 17701
75.3MI from Scranton

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I talked to the Williamsport one (back in summer of '04) and she wouldn't come to Scranton, so I doubt she'd go farther. I never heard of the lady with the offices in Tunkhannock and Kingston.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I never heard of that Kingston one either...is she new I wonder? I asked EVERYWHERE!! and no one mentioned her. Although, now that I think about it, the OB nurse at Geisinger said she "knew of one midwife, but she wouldn't recommend her" - I have no idea whatsoever if the nurse just thought that homebirth was a bad idea, and was trying to discourage me, or if she actually knew the lady. I guess its worth a call!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am a homebirth midwife in the State College area. When people from the Scranton area call me, I refer them to Dhyana Heller, an extremely experienced and competent midwife. She would be a great contact, even if you do not think you are ready for a HB. I bet she knows who is who and could help point you in the right direction.

Her phone number is 570-420-1226

And, being 30 minutes from a hospital is generally considered very safe when planning a home birth. As another poster mentioned, a good midwife will transport before there is a true emergency, and even when there IS some occurance the requires immediate care, 30 is within the acceptable range for getting you into a hospital. (I am an EMT and teach transport protocols to other professionals, including midwives.)

Having a home birth is really the only way you can be assured of having the birth you want. Sad, but true. I love nurse-midwives and admire the work they do...but in the hospital setting, they are not in charge and neither are you. It is a set up from the get go, and is run by people whose primary objective is to make money, and whose driving idealogy is one of fear.

They are wrong. Birth is safe, and safer at home. I would surely hope that you would at least look into it! Happy birthing!

Krystn Madrine
Centre County, PA

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I was attended by Women's Healthcare of NEPA which employs two midwives and two doctors. If your pregnancy is uneventful... you will only see the midwives, the doctors are only called in if there are complications.

I delivered my daughter at Wayne Memorial in Honesdale last September. I labored in their hot-tub and delivered totally naturally with a Midwife's assistance. They were extremely respectful of our birthing plan and let our daughter room-in with us.

It was a 45 minute drive to the hospital which was well worth it to me to receive such top notch care.

Women's Healthcare has an office in Carbondale which is only about a half hour drive from Scranton.

No matter where you deliver.... be sure to have a birth plan and a partner to enforce it if you are unable to. Please remember that you are a 'consumer' and can demand things of any hospital. You and/or your insurance company are paying A LOT for you to be there. Go over your birthplan with their staff before you deliver and be sure they are clear with your wishes. If they are not o.k.... take your business elsewhere.

I am so excited for you.... this is such a great time and experience for you. There is no reason to have fear and regret involved in such a beautiful event.

Many wishes for a great delivery,
Mel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, everyone has given me great leads! Thank you! I'll look into all the midwives mentioned. Wayne Memorial is a closer option than the Lehigh Valley. I've heard of Dhyana Heller, so thanks for her number. Geisinger Danville is probably almost as far as the Lehigh Valley. Midwives and Associates is one I was considering. Their website is www.valleymidwives.com. I'm going to look into all the options and figure out the best one. We don't have a lot of time. Thanks everyone!
Alison

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I have heard of D. although I don't know her, but last I heard she doesn't like her info to be published in public places. Just fyi, y'all might want to modify your posts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts