Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am just wondering about this in regards to another post.

Someone had an "all natural" childbirth. EXCEPT, she was given Pitocin to get her labor started after her water broke and her ctx didn't start within 12 hours. Okay, she is very "proud" of herself.

So, what does natural childbrith mean to you? I felt like saying, well, yeah natural except the pitocin. Okay, so you still had a medicated birth. This is back to my wonderings on the perception of pain/natural childbirth etc.

Do I (I not really meaning me, just meaning a woman) get to claim natural childbirth because I went through the pain of childbirth without drugs? What if I have acupuncture or use a TENS? Where is the line between what is natural and what is not.

Oh, and really, I don't care. LOL I mean, I think as women we all do a fabulous job getting these babies out into the world. I am thinking of this mostly from a philosophical (sp?) point of view.

· Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Um, I used proud in quotes because I think every woman should be proud of her birth no matter whether she has drugs or not. I didn't use it to say that this mother shouldn't be proud. I thought I explained that.

I guess what I am really wondering is why do people tend to look down on moms who choose pain relief (because it is a drug right? or is there another reason I am missing) but the pitocin is okay?

My opinion is, do what you need to do. We all have an idealist view of birth and such, but unfortunately, as many of us know, what actually happens can be far from that idealist view.

· Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is kind of along the same lines as being "induced". I tell everyone I was induced with my first, because I was. But, I was dialated 7 cm and well past my due date and they induced me by breaking my water. LOL So, it was kind of a more "natural" induction.

BTW: I just really want to add, I wasn't judging anyone being proud or not in my OP. I was just using that as a starting example. I would be thrilled to have the labor and birth this gal did and it doesn't bother me or upset me in any way that she used the term "all natural". It just got me thinking what all natural was. Plus, she told me while we were chatting early last week that she WAS having that baby on Thursday and her water broke Wednesday. I wish I had that kind of perception. LOL

I am still proud of my first birth and I had an epidural. I didn't just march in and demand one, but my labor was a mess. I like Dr. Sears views on medication during labor. I rely on LOTS of medication to get me through pregnancy alone, so I probably have a slightly different perspective on it. My reasons for not wanting an epi for example are based more on the complications/problems that epis bring, not so much that I personally feel I want a bunch of pain or anything.

But, this was mostly meant to be a discussion on semantics. That's why I said in the OP I didn't really care what the "answer" was. There isn't really a right or wrong answer for the most part. Just a bunch of different views.

I have been reflective lately.... lol.

Emily

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.