Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,228 Posts
I always stall on this question, because I am not sure, and because I had pitocin (and my waters broken) at 41+ weeks for medical need, but had no other meds. Despite constant monitoring, I did move around freely, labored in a tub for 3 hours, and avoided epidural. I was proud of that.

But when I'm asked, I'm not sure how to answer. I usually qualify it by saying I was aiming for a natural birth and had no pain meds, but was induced, in a hospital.

And that's my goal again. No meds at all. But I am planning it for the hospital, so maybe in some people's minds, that's not "natural" either. Maybe they only count home births as such? It's interesting from a philosphical point, Leos....

LOL, francais, I think people probably DO sub "natural" for vaginal. That's funny.

· Registered
1,228 Posts
Yeah, the hero thing is misguided, IMO. When people act all impressed with my DD's birth (no pain meds, on pitocin) I tell them who knows what would've happened if the labor went on longer? Mine was 8 hrs door to door. But could I have done 13? Or as a friend of mine did, 48 hrs on pitocin? I was okay at 10 PM, but at 3 AM would I have still been going strong? I don't know. I kind of doubt it.

And I completely credit the tub, and a hand massage from my MW for helping me through. That tub may be natural, and not a pain med, per se, but man o man it took tons of pain away, and I am thankful for it. I've only just started hearing about these mysterious TENS machines and water gobules under the skin (?), too.

I get more upset with people over early, planned inductions for no real medical reason, actually....then they are just circumventing the whole natural process, not just working with it, ykwim?

And then there's cord cutting, vit k shots, nursing, cosleeping, vaxes, organic, working or SAHM...that "natural" tag keeps messing with a lot of moms after birth as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.