Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to post this, but if it should be in Health&Healing I won't be offended if it's moved.

Anyway for about a week now I've been unable to get back to sleep either after my DD's 2nd or 3rd nightwaking (she's been waking more because she's sick, but I'm used to getting up at least once or twice, and it's not been tough for me to go back to sleep) or else around 4 I can't get back to sleep. We don't cosleep as a rule but I obviously can't take anything that's going to knock me right out because I have to feed her, plus on occasion she does end up in bed with us so I don't want to end up feeling like I can't bring her to bed because I'm too snockered.

Are there any herbs/vitamins that would help me out here? I don't drink caffeine and I typically exercise everyday (though admittedly, I haven't the past few days because I've been too tired!)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry to hear you are so tired...

I was just thinking, do you know the reason behind the insomnia? I mean usually it is stress related. I co-sleep with my son (and husband!) and this resolves any waking issues- basically I never have to really wake up to nurse(so I never need to try to get back to sleep). I find clock-watching stressful and the usual reason I can not get back to sleep (only 2 hours left, only 1h30 mins left etc..).

I hope you find a solution. GL

·
Registered
61 Posts
i have this eye pillow that has lavendar and some rice and chamomile in it, so when i'm wakeful and can't sleep, i lay with the baby and put that over my eyes and just breathe it in. it's smells so good, and it really does relax me. plus, it's got a little silk pillowcase, which feels really awesome. and after a while the pillow starts to weigh on you and it triggers some kind of sleep thing in your brain, i swear!

and also, when i can't lay on my back, say i'm nursing or something, i'll lay it next to my face and breathe deep, it does the same thing minus the heavy sinking feeling.

also, you can get some melatonin. it's a naturally occuring horomone in your brain that induces sleep. you can get that at healthfood stores, but i've never had a problem finding it at regular drug stores and grocery stores.

kind of a weird response, i'm sure, but i really hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
those are great suggestions! It totally is the clockwatching that gets me sometimes. I've been sick too lately so I think it started from that, just that restless feeling. We don't cosleep and I wish we did lately, but it's harder on DD...she really doesn't sleep well with us...she's super wakeful, gets up for the day really early and cranky. I hate to bring her to bed just so *I* can get sleep, KWIM? I do really miss nightime cuddles though. But I may try it tonight...it's been awhile since we've coslept so maybe she'd do better at least while she's sick.

I totally want to get one of those pillows now, it sounds heavenly. I drank a cup of chamomile tea before bed last night and that seemed to help. I also have a test this week so maybe that's stressing me out more than I thought (I'm only taking one class so it shouldn't be a big deal!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.